Options

Two Koehler 5e questions: breaker & choke

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
two questions 

1- how much spring tension should be on the choke? I assume "just enough" as too tight and it will have to work hard to open when warm and too loose and it won't close and will be hard to start cold. Is that the answer, just barely enough that you just barely feel the spring holding it back when cold?

2- has anyone replaced the 42amp carling breaker? As circled below the end of the switch broke off, I did it trying to bend over the darn thing fixing something else. Looks like a replacement is very hard to find and expensive. I can still easily turn the breaker on and off and I ran it for 10 hours plus last summer with it like this, it's just most of the switch is gone. Can anyone recommend a replacement or should I just leave as is since it is not impacting performance and is still functional?

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would leave it, it's not really broke.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never much spring tension on those small chokes.

That breaker:  You need to know the "Variation number" of your generator model.  It will be a 1,2,3 or 4.  I'll make a bet the Var 3 using the 42A breaker.  partsfortechs.com has this for $29.12 (direct or on ebay).  I'd replace it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I do need some choke tension though, right? Cold it does need to be held closed by the spring?

i will put the breaker on the not needed by launch but need to do sooner than later list. BD, how can I tell the version? Is it marked on the genny somewhere? Or give partsfortehs my serial number? Thx 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess you have the type 3.  It uses the 42A breaker. You can tell by the gen set s/n for the type. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI