Options

Heat not blowing hot air

Trying to get my heat working. It worked on a sea trial we had recently and then it was winterized again and now it's not working. Took it for a boat ride and it's still not working. I'm not sure what hole is my output for priming the system, that's the only thing I can think of. It's not spitting out any water and it did for the survey. It's a rinker 270. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    System needs to be circulating water to work.   There's a valve under the rear bed that needs to be opened and closed each time you want to use it.... At least that's what I've done...  would be nice if it could just be left open
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine usually needs primed after I clean the raw water filter and the water falls out of the filter. To prime I just pull the output hose off of the water pump while it's running and then once water is coming out I reattach the hose quickly. Within seconds there is water coming out the side of the boat and all is well. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four though holes on the port side,should be lower left if I remember correctly.when you turn it on,stick your head under the bed and you can here the pump run.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Mine is stbd, not port... 
  • Options
    Yup right not left,was the lower left correct. 
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I never close my valve I prime it the same way liberty does.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    There is water in the filter and the seacock is open. I tried removing the line coming our of the pump but it is not budging. Has several layers of sealant. Thats probably not thebway its been done on this vessel. Water is not coming out of any any of the sides. I see the four holes on starboard but they are too low for me to reach with a hose to reverse prime it. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Mine is like unscrewing garden hose ,just hard to do so I have to use pliers.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you when for the test ride did you get up on plane? mine re-primed itself that way.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Pump looks sort of like this,first time I tried pulling hose off after removing clamps couldn't get it off then I re realized it can just be unscrewed,do it once and it's good for the season.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Here's mine. This picture is upside down. There is something line 4200 or 4000 around the connection. When I try to unscrew it, it bounces back. Is there another way? Also did get on plane with seacock open.
  • Options
    Seacock would have to be open when getting on plane,I believe that the water should push through the output and push the air out through seacock I guess,but I never did it that way 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    bella is correct.  or, you could also loosen just a bit those 3 screws holding the black plastic onto the pump and with the valve open it will make hiss until the air is out, and then water, just tighten back up.  I keep mine on a lift, so each time I lift it I have to close the seacock.  For those times I forgot, I just do what I said.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    So I'm being over zealous by closing and opening mine each time I go use or turn off the ac
  • Options
  • Options
    @j3ff if you leave your boat sitting in the water than you don't have to close it.  But, closing it makes it safer while you are away.  Also exercising the seacock is a good thing as well.

• Options
    I tried attaching a hose to the end of a boat hook pole and put water in the ports on the starboard side. It didn't work. I called it a day as it was getting dark. I'll try the screw thing next time I'm down there. I had it up on plane three times since re-launching and that didn't work. I'll keep you all posted...
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    bella is correct.  or, you could also loosen just a bit those 3 screws holding the black plastic onto the pump and with the valve open it will make hiss until the air is out, and then water, just tighten back up.  I keep mine on a lift, so each time I lift it I have to close the seacock.  For those times I forgot, I just do what I said.
    Do you do this with the A/C unit running or turned off?
  • Options
    Goods28Goods28 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    i take the pump out of the clamp and let it lay on the floor, Too easy to break the pump if you try taking the hose off. Works every time
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Can't run the ac on D.C.
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    Can't run the ac on D.C.
    I'm referring to loosening the screws.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that garden hose coming off the A/C pump?  Looks like it. Someone way over applied the pipe dope too, teflon tape is the preferred for plastic threaded pipe fittings. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The white hose is on a barb fitting it not come off unless you cut it.but If you loosen the hose clamps it will let you spin the black plastic piece off.and then some Teflon tape when you reassemble. Do you here or feal the pump come on?1st.(it's running)ok,The pump is below the water line so close the seacock,clean the filter,put back on loose,open seacock fill filter and then tighen.should be enough to prime pump.
  • Options
    It would have to be running u have to get the air out the pump
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    The white hose is on a barb fitting it not come off unless you cut it.but If you loosen the hose clamps it will let you spin the black plastic piece off.and then some Teflon tape when you reassemble. Do you here or feal the pump come on?1st.(it's running)ok,The pump is below the water line so close the seacock,clean the filter,put back on loose,open seacock fill filter and then tighen.should be enough to prime pump.
    The pump is getting warm while it's running. I suspect it's running, it's very quiet. The noise from the air blower is much more audible. I'll try the responses this week.
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:

I do this with it off, but boat in water.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you showing any errors on the thermostat? When I started mine up without priming and didn't prime it fast enough it showed an error code on the screen which according to the manual meant that it overheated due to no water. It was something like HTE. Once I got water through it all was well. I would definitely get that hose off even if you have to cut. You should be able to get that hose on and off after loosening those two hose clamps. It shouldn't be super easy, but it shouldn't be impossible either. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Had to do this this past weekend.  The steps I took was to 1) make sure the seacock was open under the aft bed and then turn on the AC.  You should be able to put your hand on the raw water pump and feel it running and pumping water.  Then went up to the bow and noticed the condenser coils were icing up.  This meant water was running through them.  Water goes in the bottom and out the top of the condenser. 2) Follow the hose to the hull.  Mine is Starboard.  Unclamped it from the hull and gave it a few good sucks.  (no comment).  Successfully didn't get any antifreeze in my mouth.  Soon as water made its way to the hose I popped it back on the hull fitting and tighten it up.  Worked like a champ all weekend. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I just use a clean manual oil extractor to create a vacuum on the discharge side of the compressor unit - this pulls water into the line /  compressor unit when the seacock is open. The manual extractors I have are something like this:
    http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-7400.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplpMIT7400&sc_intid=MIT7400&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHrqVe3dXqP_VFfnmLJIfZ_Nn3vnM3lUAbaapSx8h0R1RoCEmPw_wcB

I went to Menards and bought a bunch of different diameter / wall thickness clear flexible tubing and made adapters for the extractors so that I can use them for pretty much anything where I need to draw a vacuum:
     https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/pipe-tubing-hoses-fittings-accessories/hoses-tubing/vinyl-tubing/c-8584.htm

I use the manual extractors to change the oil in my Rinker 320 engines and generator in the fall and clean them up when done. I also use the extractor to draw antifreeze through the AC unit by placing a hose into a gallon of antifreeze and drawing the vacuum with the extractor (you have to disconnect the suction and discharge of the AC unit hoses). I use the same method in the spring to draw lake water into the AC system to ensure I have a good prime.
    Post edited by frodo13056 on
  • Options
    Well, David makes a good point.  I've had the condenser clog with just the smallest amount of sand/dirt.  It took a lot of blowing (no comments) and finally a small amount came out the input hose to the condenser.