Options

will changing the hitch position help at the ramp?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been doing really well at getting our 270 out of the ramps...until yesterday. I have an F150 that has the power to do it fine and have been doing well for almost 3 years or so. Yesterday, when we pulled out I was losing traction and wheels a spinning. Thankfully, some folks at the ramp jumped into the back of the truck and I will able to pull it on out...so, I have a hitch that I can adjust up and down. My first thought was if I lowered the ball in relation to where I normally tow, it should put more tongue weight on the truck...but then after some thought, the angle that the boat and trailer are at it would probably make it worse? So then if I raised the ball higher than I would normally tow, would that put more tongue weight on the truck? I figure the additional weight added by the folks that jumped in was probably 600 lbs....I probably need to move the boat forward a little as I have moved back the wench a couple of times so the boat is not as forward as it used to be....also, the ramp was busy and really wet which sure did not help. I was just puzzled to have a problem now.

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Well, most of us are...JK @Handymans342  I think I have the boat weight a little back as the suspension looks a little out of kilter so I will move it forward a tad. Odd thing is my trailer flexes some at the ramp so when I wench it down to meet the roller on the front, it actually will flex the trailer and then when you pull it out of the water, it is not touching the roller. So, I have moved the roller/wench back to meet the boat and I can see by the marks on the trailer, about 3". Still, up until yesterday, have not had an issue. I did put on some wider 18" wheels and all terrain tires after I first picked it up so not sure that a new truck is the issue. 4x4 might help some but at that angle and not much weight on the front wheels, not sure how much that would even help. Ramp was just real wet and slick. I will buy a strap and keep in the truck so at least if I get there again and someone offers to pull us both out but does not have a strap, I will have one!
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    @jhofmann I had a threw on that subject when I first got our boat and that was an idea I had! I could find no such thing on the market at that time....hmmmm....i have been using the same ramp all along. Only difference is the water is way down. Ramp was very wet but not more than normal. Usually, comes up easy, have the 3 valve 5.4 which has great low torque and about 1800 rpm steady and it comes right out.so, I guess the lower water, probably 20' of ramp more than higher water times might be the variable. I will look at that bladder product, get a pull strap and get the boat further up on the trailer and see where I am at. Sure was a bad ending to a grew outing. Thanks

Answers

• Options
    Yep, all good advice for sure.....
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    That's why I tow with a f350 dully 

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    That just don't matter to a point. I've seen duallys spinning at the ramp too. A dually is great for fifth wheel towing or weight in the truck itself. The new f150 eco boost will pull almost 11000 lbs. The new f350 trucks can be rated to over 30000 towing. I would like duallys for additional traction, I just would not want to drive one daily - city driving is my turf. I think one I pull the boat back up on the trailer where i had it I will be fine. Now if I hit the lottery, well guess I would have a boat I could no trailer anyway. Thanks @bigal6030 for the input!
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ras my F150 eco boost pulls my 2005 270 like a champ! Zero issues 
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the truck pulling the boat, proper trailer position is still pretty important. It's harder on your boat AND trailer if it's loaded improperly. 

That being said.......I doubt I will ever tow with a gas engine again. I've had Diesels for so long now, I would hate myself just "settling" for a truck that could get by. There is no comparison  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the F-150 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and it will pull my 280EC. The only negative is the rear springs aren't like what I had on my F-250. I notice some sagging when I have the boat and trailer hooked up. I am thinking about adding air bags to help with the sag.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum I hear what your saying- if you have a 250 turbo diesel then there is no comparison for that low end torque- but you also have 9 grand tied up in a motor and what a $400.00 oil change? If you can handle that then yep, would be right there with you. I have sold Ford product for 21 years and was a fleet buyer for 8 years before that. And @Cableguy Greg you may have a tongue weight issue - I'm trying to figure mine out as well. My springs do not bottom out and my truck is level but I have move the boat back and will start moving it back forward. I have an older 06, 3.5L 5.4 with a 3:73. That 3 valve motor is also a great low end torque motor but wish I had the 4:10- would be better on the motor with the weight. I do not tow very long distance very often however. Those new eco boost motors are beasts, especially the one they are putting in the Raptor this year.... 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    My tow vehicle is a 2010 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ, 4x4, 6 ltr gas, 4:10 axles. I couldn't justify the extra cost for a diesel. Didn't want the extra maintenance and associated cost of that either. Those dollars can go into the boat.
  • Options
    That's where I'm at @Glassguy54 you either really have to want that or drive enough miles per year to justify the cost- I know the Ford's are back to some decent MPG but if you do not take care of them, they will eat you up. The gas motors are a little more forgiving.....
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury  I have a 2000 F250 with the 7.3. Oil changes are $90 bucks, and that is synthetic (done myself). My truck has 215k miles, and I will keep it forever.  Your $9k reference on motor would be for a new truck I assume.  I have owned many gassers, and they will never ever tow as good as a Diesel will.  Yes, they get the job done, but there is no comparison  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    that's a good idea @212rowboat, and I plan around the tides for retrieving when I do salt water. Keep it simple I suppose! I just had not had any problems since I first got the boat and it was a little spooky. I will get a **** rope and keep in the truck as well. 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    212rowboat you are right, I was thinking kitty litter helps for winter traction, but it would make a mess at the ramp once is was wet.