Options

Battery Selection

We are new to the cruiser scene having purchased a 270 Express Cruiser (2007) for our "maiden voyage".  I need to replace the two batteries and looking for recommendations for best selection.  We have AC and generator (Kohler) onboard.  currently using Trojan batteries.  Any recommendations/suggestions?  We live in Jacksonville, Fl with a great combination of salt, brackish and freshwater access.....

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you get, just ensure your starting battery is a crank battery, and your house battery is a deep cycle.

Interstate has a pretty good warranty, but there's lots of good options.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also: be aware of your battery charger.  If you are looking at AGM batteries, your charger needs to rate for that.  If the charger is still original, likely can only do traditional lead-acid battery types.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Just an FYI.....Trojan batteries are pretty darn good.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the house battery, I would try to step up to a deep cycle Group 31 size battery.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    How can I tell the difference between what is the house and what is the starting battery or do I need to manually choose with the battery selector?
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Look into going agm batteries for both starting and house. A group 31agm will have enough mca/cca to be your starting battery. If you have an intellipower wet cell charger it will also work fine for charging agm batteries. The charging profiles are very similar. You cannot use it if you were to go to a gel battery. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    @MajorAppeal here are the two batteries for my 270, worked great so far.  You will notice one says "Starting Power" and one says "Heavy Duty Deep Cycle."  Now I dont have a generator but I do have A/C so you may need more power.  You do want to choose between the two on our battery selector when starting versus anchored.  

Here is a a good thread on battery switch and battery choice.  https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/6504/battery-switch-position

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look into going agm batteries for both starting and house. A group 31agm will have enough mca/cca to be your starting battery. If you have an intellipower wet cell charger it will also work fine for charging agm batteries. The charging profiles are very similar. You cannot use it if you were to go to a gel battery. 
    concur. 

the newer than other type AGM's are mesh not plate.  the mesh offers quicker charging, fast discharge (when demanded such as starting) and deep charge use.  having duplicate batteries (that don't disadvantage you one way or another) that are the same type doesn't place risk on one battery or the other while all are being charged (or discharged while in battery combination position on your switch).

• Options
    MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    concur. 

the newer than other type AGM's are mesh not plate.  the mesh offers quicker charging, fast discharge (when demanded such as starting) and deep charge use.  having duplicate batteries (that don't disadvantage you one way or another) that are the same type doesn't place risk on one battery or the other while all are being charged (or discharged while in battery combination position on your switch).

This is the charger I have.  Will it work with the 31agm or will it need to be switched out?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MajorAppeal, it will charge them, but it isn't designed for them. I have that charger and I had AGM batteries on my "house" circuit. That charger worked, but I wasn't getting a charge on my "house" batteries while underway. After replacing the batteries last season, I am finding out that it is my isolator that wasn't charging the house batteries.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to do it right, yiu need a newer charger that can handle AGM. $500 range. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LastrapesLastrapes Member Posts: 5
    Thanks everyone, been away from the country for a bit and now back in time to enjoy a summer on the water.  Gosh, there is so much to learn about this boat, but the pleasure is well worth it.....
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Here's a recent thread about switching to TTPL batteries.  Compared to other batteries, they offer better performance at a higher cost.  It might make sense if you spend a lot of time on battery power, but it's definitely not for everyone.  

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7291/new-ttpl-batteries-plus-blue-sea-systems-charger-and-battery-monitor