Options

For my fellow Rinker Owners that boat in the Illinois / Kankakee Rivers

frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
Interesting article from a local paper in Northern Illinois........

http://www.react365.com/58dbe1d710595/morris-il-great-white-sharks-found-in-illinois-river.html

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy!!  Nature never stops to amaze me.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Luckily I had already bought a shark cage to be ready for this!
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Yikes! Really wish I hadn't read that article...holy cow.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Sanford Florida which is a city off the St. Johns River- only river in our hemisphere that flows north-anyway, from where I am at it flows north to Jacksonville and out into the ocean- probably about 250 miles down river from the inlet and told there are often sightings of sharks down this far so it is not that abnormal!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I live in Sanford Florida which is a city off the St. Johns River- only river in our hemisphere that flows north-anyway, from where I am at it flows north to Jacksonville and out into the ocean- probably about 250 miles down river from the inlet and told there are often sightings of sharks down this far so it is not that abnormal!
    The Monongahela River in Western Pa flows north. No sharks in it. Just the occasional alligator or piranha. But they die off in the winter.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    We get plenty of sharks in the Chesapeake Bay.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I used to be pretty much a "river rat" boater - I never would have thought that Illinois would see great whites this far north. I did read another article that said that around the St. Louis, MO area on the Mississippi river that there had been sightings over the years as well. For us Lake Michigan boaters, the good news is that the Army Corp Of Engineers maintain an underwater electric "fence" in the canal going to the lake to prevent Asian carp from getting into the lake - so hopefully these sharks can't get that far north! What amazes me is that these sharks had to transit multiple locks (at least 3 sets) to get to Morris, Illinois - pretty unbelievable.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream you tell them there's sharks in the water,then make um walk the plank.arr sailor
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct