Options

First trip out chased out some issues

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
Took her out on the Severn this weekend for a trip to run out some winter cobwebs.  Port engine was hard to start this time and hasn't been before.  We had been running around for about an hour and everything was perfect.  Got up to plane, WOT.  Running around 39mph and 6mph just fine.  Went to take it up to plane and it was like I was draggin anchor.  Port engine would go up to 3k rpm and that was it.  Seemed like there was no throttle response after mid throttle.  Ran a little longer and got a beep intermittently.  So I know I have a code to pull off the pcm.  First thoughts are.  Likely have some gunk in the fuel filter or something along those lines.  I will run over this week and put my reader on it and pull the code.  I am betting on low fuel pressure.  So what else am I missing?
I had a boat before go into guardian mode from a bad sensor.  It just drops power down to 90%.  I am just curious as to why it seems like it just capped the throttle at 3k?  Anyone else have that happen.  Literally no response after mid throttle.  I have a electric fuel pump and the large fuel water separator and don't have the cool fuel module. I didn't see any inline fuel filters just the large fuel water separator/filter that looks like an oil filter.  Any other filters or screens that I should hunt for? 

This is a 2003 Mercruiser MPI 350 in a 342 so it is good to know I can get home on one engine but it wouldn't get up on plane.  I just did an oil change this spring and everything was fine at idle or fast idle at the dock.    
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    and this gentlemen is why every boat owner that has a little "Do it themselves" in them should own a device to read the PCM codes.  I was certain I had a fuel issue.  Would of never guessed the IAC valve was going on me.  It idled fine.  My issues were all while attempting to get on plane or go WOT.  So what happened was the IAC was going but still sort of working.  But it was enough to put the engine in Guardian mode which cut the potential power output to 78%.  This little gem by Rinda has already paid for itself between my last boat and this one. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow thats pretty neat. Where do you plug it in?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    There is a connection on top the engine.  Has a cap on it.  I bought mine off of ebay for $500.    You can buy different connections for different engines.  Resets codes, all kinds of useful items.  So far I have used it to diagnose a low seawater pressure issue.  No pressure issue just a bad sensor.  and now an IAC issue.  Again no issue just a bad sensor.  I just keep adding up the Mechanics hourly rate to diagnose and put it towards my liquor fund.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's paid for itself
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I don't have any computer