Options

Transom Door - Rinker FV 290 (2004)

Hi - I'm looking for some help. I have a '04 Rinker FV 290. The previous owners removed the transom door. I had Rinker make me a replacement door. Turns out when the former owners removed the door - they did a good great job at filling in the holes and patching it. Does anyone have photos of their transom door, how it's mounted and how it latches closed? I'd greatly appreciate any visuals to figure this out. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @babyboyboater1111, can you help out a fellow 290FV owner?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are they much different than other boats?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't be that complicated, and the systems are actually pretty standard on many boats.  The door is elevated a few inches off the ground. Hinges go on the outside (gunwale), and latch will go against the bench (so if you accidentally lift the engine hatch, the latch breaks, and minimizes chances of damaging the gelcoat.  There might be a solid base though where the latch used to be, maybe a stud finder will help you locate where the fibreglass gets thick for the latch hole.

Once the hinges are in, you'll know where the latch will strike and it should be easy to drill in. 

Why did they remove the door anyhow?? That's a bit dangerous when underway.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lord I have broken that latch like 5 times...it is broken right now! I need a rubber one....
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    If I had no transom door I'd be sharing my boat with a sea lion! Seriously, the door is necessary to keep things from rolling out of the cockpit, like small humans.

As for the door latch, there are two kinds of Rinker owners. 1) Those that have broken their latch and, 2) Those who are going to break their latch.

Andy