Options

greasing bravo III drive, gimbal, coupler ect...

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
I want to grease up everything before the season begins.  First time since owning the boat.

Do I have to use Mercruiser grease?  Does anybody use more widely known greases from say Napa or Walmart ect...

I know I know...the Merc grease isn't that expensive and it's not worth skimping.  Just wondering.

Thx
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO you answered the question very well! Have been using oem Mercury/Mercruiser parts and lubes since 1961 on my boats. never regretted the extra pennies. One of the only non-Mercruiser parts that I would consider is the Hardin Marine SS water pump housing.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has to be waterproof too
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the answer I expected @Michael T :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well anyone who uses Wal-Mart marine products should not own a boat except oil and batteries. Lol
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last spring when I bought my boat the I greased all three zercs with a good quality trailer bearing grease from auto zone. I didnt have time to buy the OEM and I figured it was better than nothing, the previous owner had never done it himself and had no idea if it was done when he had the boat serviced (he paid a local guy for all service). This winter I had a merc tech do the full drive service/transom kit. All was well but he said that things were fairly dry, not much grease left. He said it could be that the trailer grease was barely enough, or they were dry when I bought the boat and I just got by another summer with the trailer grease. Who knows, luckily even though they were dry I had no signs of wear or problems. He re greased everything with the quicksilver OEM recommended grease and told me to only use that grease on the zercs ongoing which I plan to do. Only problem is I  have no idea if he meant the 2-4-C or their "spline" grease so hopefully someone here knows which is right. I believe Merc now recommends only one "all in one" grease I just dont know which it is. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)