Options

Boat Wraps

junebugjunebug Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
I just recently purchased a 2007 Rinker 280 with a black hull.  The boat was in amazing condition in every aspect except for by the rear port window which had stress cracks.  The only other issue was the black hull was pretty chalky.  I was thinking of painting the black portion but I am also thinking of wrapping the black portion of the hull.  Does anyone out there have there boat wrapped that can provide any pros and cons.  I like the fact it is a third of the price.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks.  I am sure I could get it shiny again but the reason I would paint or wrap is to get the hairline cracks fixed or covered by the wrap.  I don't like seeing them. lol. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a black hull and I am going with polyglow this year due to Rinker chalking issues 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have a navy blue wrap and i think it's a fantastic product.. I have only one season on it and it's almost as nice as it's first season. I say almost because I did put a 6 inch rip/scratch in it. However it was my own doing and it scratched the gel coat underneath as well. So whether it was wrap or not it was leaving a mark. Im having it fixed this week though and it should be nice and hidden.
    We received so many positive comments this past season. People cant believe its not paint/awlgrip. I just put a coat of caranuba on it and she shines like a new boat. Never again to compounding. Just an occasional wax is all it needs. If you do it I would only look at Avery Dennison and 3m wraps. They have the best quality and both carry 10 year warranties. 
    A couple things to keep in mind, it is vinyl and can scratch/tear with a good strike. With that said it's pretty darn durable. I have a bumper that rubs all day every day in my slip and have no marks. I do put a fleece bumper cover on it though. We rafted last season quite a bit and again no issues with bumpers pinned against other boats. Also if you live in a northern climate and shrink wrap your boat you can no longer wrap it down to the water line. The heat from shrink wrapping could potentially melt your wrap. We wrapped to the rub rail and the marina then taped it in place. Worked great. 
    I had my 360 wrapped for 2100. If it looks crumby in 5 years, which I don't think it will, I'll just have it redone and still have 3 more wraps to go before equalling what it would have cost to awlgrip my boat. It made sense to me....

Keep in mind if you have substantial stress cracks you will still see it under the wrap to a degree. If you fill and sand them to be flat then you won't. 
  • Options
    That's awesome I planned on sanding the cracks down first.  I really like the no buffing part.  I had a yellow 232 before and I had to do it twice a year.  Thank you for all the information 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how much outside winter storage affects the gel coat condition? My boat is a 2013 and I wax it once or twice a season, and it shines like new. Never have had to do any sort of compounding to it. I do keep in indoor heated storage for the winter, so its never been shrink wrapped.

I only say this because mine is black and I hope it stays looking pristine years from now.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JoeStang said:
    I wonder how much outside winter storage affects the gel coat condition? My boat is a 2013 and I wax it once or twice a season, and it shines like new. Never have had to do any sort of compounding to it. I do keep in indoor heated storage for the winter, so its never been shrink wrapped.

I only say this because mine is black and I hope it stays looking pristine years from now.
    Joe, I get it. Once you go Black................................ LOL
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice. LOL
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend wrapped his boat, and it has lasted about 4 years with no wear to show. I'd say it's a good way to cover up a boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    dwolfdwolf Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    im going on second yr with my boat wrap and love it,i had it clear wrapped over the color wrap which should make wrap last a lot longer. it is expensive but worth it,protects your boats finish plus you can make your boat look anyway you choose on wrap it to look the as it is only looking new. i wrapped my truck to match,i get tons of compliment on both anytime in out n about, i keep my wrap waxed with liquid ice,no abrasives or chalky residue and easy to use. taken care of a wrap is a lot easier than keeping paint looking good. i buffed and mirror glazed my baot then wrapped it. when wrap is removed the boat will look just like it did the day i wrapped it,no fading. the wrap look killer,protects you boats surface,can have any design you wish,i think wrapping is the way to go,your boat wont be in the shop near as long as painting it would take. wrapping it you can set your boat apart for all the rest,if you into the attention or you can go subtle and blend in depends on you preference. hope this helps you