Options

New Stereo Installation on my 2003 270

JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Rinker Custom Projects

I decided to spend some money this year and get the stereo on my 270 up to my standards.  I must say I was surprised buy the factory Kenwood system and that they would even have a factory amp installed in a 2003 boat but I wanted more.  I was able to use a lot of the factory wires which was a big help.  After a bunch of research and wanting to be a little different, I went with Wet Sounds speakers and amp.  It is sounding great and it is super clear. 

Here is what I went with

6.5 Front Cockpit Speakers:

https://creativeaudio.net/shop-by-brand/wet-sounds/marine-speakers/wet-sounds-xs-series-silver-grill-6-5-speaker-200-watt-peak-power/

8" Rear Cockpit speakers (increased hole size):

https://creativeaudio.net/shop-by-brand/wet-sounds/marine-speakers/wet-sounds-xs-808-silver-cone-8-coaxial-speaker/

10" Free Air Sub:

https://creativeaudio.net/shop-by-brand/wet-sounds/marine-subwoofers/wet-sounds-xs-series-10-free-air-subwoofer-with-silver-grill-4-ohm/

Amp:

https://creativeaudio.net/marine-powersports/marine/amplifiers/multi-channel-amplifiers/wet-sounds-htx6-class-d-900-watt-6-channel-amplifier/

I also installed a new Kenwood Bluetooth head unit.

Please excuse the filth, she needs a good bath.

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
Post edited by JonnyM on

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good. Hope to hear it this summer. Did you add any support to the area surrounding the sub? I want to add a sub, and I was thinking under the helm seat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Thanks Greg, I didn't add any extra support.  It is solid right there and there is a support block built into the boat right next to it.  I was worried about that going in.  I had a Bayliner before that would shake the fiberglass around the sub sometimes but the walls were much thinner.   I like where I ended up installing it.  I didn't have many choices.  I have a door under my sink so I couldn't put it there and I didn't want it at my feet at the helm.

Looking forward to rocking the river!

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,541 mod
    When I talked to the local Wetsounds guy about my install, he suggested going with the 8" speakers.  Do you think there's a big boost compared to the 6.5s?  I might eventually do 8s up in the hardtop.  
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Yes
    i have 6.5 and 8s
    big difference 
  • Options
    Agreed, there is a big difference.  Not saying the 6.5s won't sound good but the 8s will give you a much fuller sound.  They also make a full range Revo 10" now!  
  • Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I put JL M880's in the rear cockpit of my 2000 FV270.  Amped of course.  Huge difference in sound.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boat still has the original system. It was upgraded with an amp which is over the tv cabinet and has 6 disc changer. We don't use it much - at the marina it seems to be a no no. Sometimes just hanging out I will but usually the kids are watching the tv....
  • Options
    I have now added the Wetsounds MC-1 headunit and new stern remote.  I am loving the knobs on the units.  Very happy with the sound and display.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury - you can't listen to music in your marina?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is super quiet with a lot people that live on their boats...just feel like we'd be bothering people...
  • Options
    @rasbury - Or a dance party might break out. 
    You can always turn a great stereo down real low but you can turn a bad stereo up real loud!! 
    Much respect for your courtesy for your neighbors though!