Options

St. Pete to Key West and Back (LONG POST)

SheriSheri Member Posts: 76 ✭✭

As it goes with all Boat trips weather played a major roll in the trip. Day one we didn't get started out until after 1:30 PM due to the winds. We left the marina and headed out to Ft. Myers, found a mooring ball for the night and got some sleep after a great start to the trip. Went to Moss Marina to top off and met the owner and his dog Trooper. Great guy and a great place to top of the tanks. They give a volume discount. We left around 9:30 hoping to make it before dinner. Mother nature threw a nasty bit of chop at us about 3 hours out and it lasted for about 2 hours. It made for a rough and wet ride. one of the zippers failed on the icing glass and we had to wait until we got there to fix that.

We got to the mooring field and anchored up for the knight. I made dinner on the deck and we watched a movie while the generator was on. The next morning we went over to Galleon and Stayed there for 2 days. They are an awesome group of people and they were so very nice to us. We washed the boat down and recharged the batteries. We had dinner at the Turtle Kraal and it was amazing.

Tuesday Morning we went and got more Ice for the Yeti and took off to the Marquis Islands and threw out an anchor. took down the Kayaks and paddled around and went on treasure hunts. (washed up netting and crab pot balls.) we ran the generator that night for recharge and movie time and slept under the stars. Best day/night so far.

Wednesday we pulled anchor and headed to the southern Mule Keys and anchored out on Woman key for the night. we used the kayaks again and toured the mangroves around the island. Captain took off with his fishing gear while I sat up top to read a book and on his way back a fishing boat had pulled in. They had a bountiful day and gave him 2 yellow fin snappers. He brought them back and prepped them and I cooked them on the grill......Best dinner so far. that is about as fresh as it gets. That night we ran the generator again to recharge and watched another movie. There was no moon so the stars were so bright and beautiful. This was by far the prettiest place to throw an anchor and be totally alone.

Thursday afternoon we headed back to Key West and threw an anchor again. we called for the boat taxi that came and picked up Mike so he could get more beer and ice. What a great business idea. we spent the day just chilling out and grilling and then that night we ran the generator again and watched a movie. we were at the end of the anchoring field and I do not recommend that location. they boats do not abide by the no wake signs there and the bridge is close so they buzzed by the boat all evening. the next morning a group of seados buzzed us and broke the anchor free. we were headed to the shore.... so we pulled anchor and went to the mooring balls for the next night. Much better but the neighbor boat had 3 large angry dogs that didn't like any of the people on their dingys passing the boat and barked at each one.

Saturday we went to the Conch Harbor to charge up everything and prep the boat to leave as the wind was going to kick it up in the next few days and stay that way for a week so we needed to head back. So we anchored up and went to Dantes to enjoy the pool. well they were in their 4th week of spring breakers and you could tell it was taking a toll on the employees. We jumped in and had a beer but after that one it was time to leave it to the collage kids. after being on the islands and the mooring ball and anchor the noise was too much. we took off and walked around. Got a few things for the boat trip back and went to get cleaned up for dinner out.

Sunday morning we took off for home and the weather was perfect. we stopped off at Moss to fill up again and were back in our Marina at 9:30.

I will add photos later!

Comments