270 COCKPIT COUNTERTOP MODIFICATION

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Rinker Custom Projects
Just got the corian delivered and couldn't wait to drop the template on and cut.
  The old setup was nice but a hassle to rest food or drinks on.  It was a pain to throw trash out with stuff there. With the new drawer/trash can setup below I think this works out best. 

Very preliminary but looks like I may have to cut a small piece along the back as a backsplash to cover the old trash can hinge holes.  I have my eye on a small rectangular, flat bottom sink to drop into the trash can hole. Just have to double check the dimensions. 

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.....I'm thinking your on to something! Putting the trash where the cooler went and moving the sink where the trash went...your right, you have created very useful counter space where there was 0 before, great idea!
    You need to post this in the custom upgrades!
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    thanks ras, im not sure where that is,lol   I thought I posted in rinker custom projects...
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!! That looks amazing!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 280EC, the sinks are undermounted and the cut out piece of corian acts as a cover for the sink. That way if you are not using the sink, leave the cover on and you get extra counter space. BTW, looks great. Oh, and you did post in the correct location.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, can't wait to see the final product!
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Looks great Trashman.  Umm, vessel sink?   :)
    Some final pics.   I didn't relocate the sink to where the trash hole was because of a few things.  Finding a suitable sink is difficult unless you had hundreds to spend. That area had the most useable area. And, cutting a hole in coriander and utilizing the existing sink as an undermount style seemed like a better idea.  
  • JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

LOL... Issac, classic.

The countertop looks great!

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! And love the picture!
    2008 330EC
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Countertop looks fantastic! And the pic of Isaac the bartender? Classic!  :D
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Where is the blender? :)   Great work! Looks Fantastic!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used access to the trash can space many times to fish wires and cables. Now you cant get to that area unless you remove the cabinet
    I have used access to the trash can space many times to fish wires and cables. Now you cant get to that area unless you remove the cabinet
    I have a permanent nylon cord run behind the helm to the waste tank and another from the TV cabinet through the back of the head to the waste tank. 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I store my fins, boots and mask in there. Out of the way.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Trashman said:
    I have a permanent nylon cord run behind the helm to the waste tank and another from the TV cabinet through the back of the head to the waste tank. 
    Did you think about putting a trap door to access that space? Maybe for more storage?
  • gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Looks great!  Would be even better with a pop up blender.  Anyone ever install one?
    gack said:
    Looks great!  Would be even better with a pop up blender.  Anyone ever install one?
     I've heard mixed reviews on those although a nice option, fabricating that myself is beyond my skill set LOL     I have a plug-in that I can move around anywhere I usually find a place off on the dock because it tends to get messy as The night progresses and the alcohol  ingestion  increases. 
    Sure better use of the space- trash door kills the whole counter top. If rinker is smart they will watch these mods for future designs I not just a same design in different sizes. On a bigger boat with more countertop the 270 design I'm sure is fine- until you shrink it to the 270....
  • srlamansrlaman Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Trashman,
    Love the modification!!!...Now I want to do the same.  Where did you get your countertop material from?  Did you cut it yourself or have a professional do it? What type of adhesive did you use to secure to the fiberglass? Did it fit tight to the sink bowl or did you have to make a gasket or something?  Thanks for the idea and any info you can share
    Scott Laman
    srlaman said:
    Trashman,
    Love the modification!!!...Now I want to do the same.  Where did you get your countertop material from?  Did you cut it yourself or have a professional do it? What type of adhesive did you use to secure to the fiberglass? Did it fit tight to the sink bowl or did you have to make a gasket or something?  Thanks for the idea and any info you can share
    Scott Laman
    The corian is from solid surface .com.  I cut it myself, it cuts just like wood.  I used a jig saw and a router on the edges. If I can do it anyone can, lol.   As for mounting, I simply used 3m 5200 you don’t need a lot   I ran a tiny bead around the sink bowl and pressed down. The small backsplash is attached with 5200 also.   As for the faucet, the thread post is long enough so when that’s tight it isn’t going anywhere.  I chose not to use the original stainless grab rail.  

It’s a mod that really made a huge difference, I got so much more useable space.  As for the cooler cutout underneath, I lucked out on eBay. That thing was perfect fit just had to order a little starboard for the trim.  
    Sp do you have trash below there? Also, the grab rail I think is more to keep stuff sliding off...it looks great! I have a small coffee pot we put there and the trash is a pain!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tniggel, you need to consider this!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Might have to take a look at this too... I’ll take some measurements and see if I can fit it on the CNC. Nice rounded lip edge, rounded sink edge and possible(optional) flip-up storage for a blender. Could also make a matching (3)cup holder to replace the white StarBoard in front of the lounge. Hmmm...
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Will your CNC cut that? Never tried it with mine but would be pretty nervous
    boatman37 said:
    Will your CNC cut that? Never tried it with mine but would be pretty nervous
    No problem at all, just have to get the speed/feed right... Chips = GOOD, Dust = BAD. 
    rasbury said:
    Sp do you have trash below there? Also, the grab rail I think is more to keep stuff sliding off...it looks great! I have a small coffee pot we put there and the trash is a pain!
    Ras, I have two bins below the drawer.  They are same size as the Rinker trash can but x2, 1 trash and 1 beer cans.  The trash flip up was a pia for sure!  

Might have to take a look at this too... I’ll take some measurements and see if I can fit it on the CNC. Nice rounded lip edge, rounded sink edge and possible(optional) flip-up storage for a blender. Could also make a matching (3)cup holder to replace the white StarBoard in front of the lounge. Hmmm...
    This is right up your alley! I’m no craftsman for sure but I had to put a little backsplash to hide the holes frim the trash can hinges.   I wanted to also cut a hole in the top over where the trash can hole was and insert a round ss wine bottle receptacle for the ladies. I would use my router to trim the sink cut out piece to fit flush over the hole when not in use. So many ideas, lol.  The new owner loved the mod.  (Sigh)
    Oh btw, solidsurface.com is where I bought corian.