Options

News from the Mechanic: Leaking bellows, and rusted Gimbal bearing on Bravo 3.

Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
I haven't had a chance to drop by there and see the extent of damage, but he said the universal joint looks okay. I'm hoping the bearing hadn't failed and gotten ground up yet.  My boat only had 170 hours on it when I bought it last fall, lots of time just sitting around in it's life, so I'm hoping the rust is intact, and not ground up through everything.  The bellows had leaked, and let some water intrusion get in........keep your fingers crossed!  :o
2000 Captiva 232 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gimbal bearing is just a carrier bearing. It sits in the transom assembly protected by the bellows. It's rusted because the bellows leaked. It is a relatively easy fix. While they are replacing the bellows, have them do the shift boot as well. That will be the next one to go.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    As long as the gimbal ring is okay, it won't be too bad. If the ring is bad, it starts getting pricey. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Yea you'll want to do a transom kit; shift cable, all bellows, gimbal bearing. Cost here is around $1200 per drive parts and labor 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Just did both sides this weekend,what ever they pay the mechanic is not enough :p,took about 16 hours ish for both sides with new trim senders and hydraulic lines too.2 days later and I'm still trying to stand up straight.it's done and the drives are on,so everything that's sits water should be good.It's a boat what could possibly go wrong?
    Post edited by reneechris14 on
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I ended up having the gimbal bearing replaced, shift boot, bellows, all drive seals, and an oiler line and claimp was bad, plus the normal oil change, filters, impeller, belts, etc.....I am ready to roll now  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you,time to burn some fuel
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    @reneechris14 I plan on doing that tomorrow morning at a local lake  B)
    2000 Captiva 232