Options

More Spring re-commissioning woes!

Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
Seems like just about everyone has some sad tale to tell, so I'll add mine. I decided to pull the calipers and rotors off the trailer so I could service the bearings. In the past I've had issues with two calipers busting away from their mounting flanges on the axles, apparently due to one mounting bolt backing out allowing the caliper to pivot on the remaining bolt, fatiguing the metal and breaking free, severing the brake line in the process. I replaced ALL 4 calipers and used blue Loctite. Good God! Torch, 1/2" ratchet, breaker bar- still a major PITA. So any way, I pull one of the calipers off and the flared end fitting on the brake line was broke through and the brake line came out of its fitting. I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it was pretty much empty, so I've been with out brakes for an undetermined amount of time. ( I do check the level routinely). I'm really glad I discovered this before we haul the boat 1,000 miles round trip to Table Rock Lake in June. Good news is that the bearings look pristine! No rust, no wear, no scoring, pitting or any other signs of wear. If this is the worst I have to face this season, I'm a happy guy.
Post edited by Glassguy54 on

Comments