Using VHF antenna for FM plus TV

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
Is this possible?

I definitely want to use it for VHF radio & FM radio, but if I ever want to install a TV it'd be nice to get over the air HD as well. Is there an adapter for this?
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm mm. I know you can get an adapter/splitter to run both VHF marine radio and FM radio off one stick antenna. Not sure about TV OTA antenna. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I made a TV antenna out of copper tube in a loop and picked up TV signals just fine.  The same signal that comes from an adapter for FM radio will get you "something". TV signals are mostly higher frequency than VHF now so they are a shorter wavelength (shorter antenna required).

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    So, in theory, could I use this adapter and then add a splitter for the TV & FM signal, so in essence have 3 signals from the one antenna. Does that sound feasible without affecting VHF reception?

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the splitter I was thinking of. As per Stodges post though, I  don't think you'll get TV reception on a vhf radio antenna or radio on a TV antenna because of different wavelengths. That's why radio antennas are thin and long and TV is short and wide. Maybe a resident electronics wiz like Cable Guy Greg can chime in.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    Umm, don't forget your VHF transmits as well and I am not sure your TV antenna/coax input front end would like the wattage of the VHF when you hit the PTT button.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/