Where to put the MARPOL sticker?

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
So i was going through the Coast Guard safety list today and noticed something new for me this year.  Two required placards.  
Item 10 - Pollution Placard:

Boats 26 feet and over with a machinery compartment must display an oily waste "pollution" placard.
 Pollution Placard
Item 11 - MARPOL Trash Placard:

Boats 26 feet and over in length must display a "MARPOL" trash placard. Boats 40 feet and over must also display a written trash disposal plan.

The Pollution placard was already in the engine compartment but I couldn't find a MARPOL placard or sticker.  So off to West Marine.  Now the MARPOL sticker is supposed to be in plain sight.  Where has everyone else put theirs?  I was really hoping to just put it under the lid for the trash can but i am thinking that isnt gonna fly.  Any suggestions.  
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think mine is in the engine area.. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My garbage placard is under the lid covering the cockpit garbage can, bottom side of the lid. My oil placard is on the forward bulkhead in the engine room near the isolator
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Liberty44140. That is what I was hoping.  Ever been inspected? Hoping the garbage one is OK there.
    since buying a year ago I have not been inspected but I know the PO was inspected by the Local Cg auxiliary or another approved inspector as he had a previous sticker. 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What @Liberty44140 said is standard issue.  Another good reason to get a USCG Auxiliary vessel safety check every year ... they will check that stuff for you, and make sure you are compliant.
    thanks all.  I did that last year.  It was easy as they hung out at the park where I launched.  Will have to schedule it.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    These requirements are new to me, maybe a CGA inspection is due to cover these things I am not aware of.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I bet you should not tip the inspector, he should not take it. :)
    Boat Name : 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I dont think that they are allowed to take it........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I tell folks that the MARPOL sticker can be in the galley on the back of a cabinet door, or even the back of the door to the head, or the back of the trash can cover.  As long as you can point it out when asked, then you should be covered.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

raybo3 said:
    I dont think that they are allowed to take it........
    Correct.  However it's ok to offer a bottle of water.  :)

Thanks @Stodge.  with my last boat I had run my wife and kids through the drill making them aware of where everything was so they could confidently answer questions in my absence.  As I was normally pulling the truck and trailer up when the CG Aux was approaching.  These placards weren't a requirement on my last boat as it was under the 26Ft limit.  West Marine sells a pack of all 3 placards if you need them.  I put the MARPOL sticker under the lid on the aft trash can.  
    Most CG Auxiliary vessel examiners have them on hand for folks who need them.  ;)

A few years ago the local police boat gave me an uninvited inspection. I went to pull out our safety gear and the officer said "sir please stop and don't move" which i did. He then turned to the admiral and asked her to retrieve the gear. She knew where the key items were but it was a good lesson. Ended up with a safety sticker so i was glad to be stopped. 

Yea I remember reading somewhere that block are required. What did you have? Something more curved?

Ahh, hopefully they were not too expensive. I got mine on Ebay for something like $10 delivered. Block (color white since my boat is black) but they were a decal like I'm sure those were. Nice to have them as a decal so that they are straight.

edited April 2017
    Where is your state sticker?  Guessing that's an old photo.  

Michigan law on registration "MC" numbers:
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10365_10884_11578-34770--,00.html

Technically he is correct to say you are not meeting the legal requirements.  Something else to keep in mind with VSCs.  Nobody else sees these forms.  They are for you and the inspector.  You can present them to a law enforcement officer when boarded to try and expedite their inspection.  The inspector signs the form saying you met the requirements.  So if another agency looks at your boat and feels you didn't meet those requirements, they can go back to the inspector and ask for an explanation.

@shawnmjr  BTW the guy that does vinyl at Gibraltar Trade Center makes nice MC numbers on a sheet, in many colors and fonts.  I had him do a 2 tone set that look like outlined letters for my center console.