Options

Oil Leak Starboard side of 5.7 Mercruiser Eng

cvmamartycvmamarty Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

I have a 02 242 vista vee with 5.7 Jasper reman engine. I took it out yesterday oil pressure was at 60 PSI Oil pressure started to fluctuate it would go from 60 to 80 PSI then it dropped to 0 then up to 40 PSI  and back to zero and engine stopped running. Opened up engine deck and saw oil all over my batteries no oil on the dipstick. Checked oil pressure prior to going out and it was full. Looking for help to point in the right area to look for leak not sure what all is on the starboard side of engine that might cause the leak   

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Valve cover gasket maybe?  Can you run it with the engine deck open and perhaps get a visual of the leak while under way?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To leak that bad, the oil must be under pressure. I'd look for a blown headgasket to start. Check your oil pressure sending unit too.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    cvmamartycvmamarty Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I have not put oil in it yet but I hope that once I do put oil in it will start and I plan on looking to see where it could be leaking from if I can start it. I had the raw impeller replace not sure if they broke something or not. Thanks for all the advice will let you know what i find