Options

Replacing engine throttle remote control and cables - advice needed

Changing out the defective OEM Mercury control box (neutral button sticks) p/n 87770 A13 for the current Mercury 4500 Gen II throttle mount with new gear cables on my FV270. Any and all advice is appreciated. If possible, include pix and/or links. Thanks in advance!
If your going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late.

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every such project these days has numerous videos posted on YouTube.  My only thought is why the cables?  They can be adjusted and lubricated usually to take care of any issue.
  • Options
    AccidentalSuperstarAccidentalSuperstar Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Because the body of the current gen II control remote is longer, the gear cables must be adjusted shorter Perfect time to swap for new cables.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking of replacing mine as well due to the same issues that you're having... 
  • Options
    Mercury phased out the OEM remote due to the neutral stick problem. It's why there is no replacement part for that OEM engine throttle control. Instead, you gotta get the Mercury made 4500 Gen II Throttle Control and the Gen II Mercury cables - not universal cables. Because the controller is different from the first, the Gen II cables will have the appropriate end(s) piece to attach to Mercury engines. The project should result in better throttle response w/o any play in the throw. ( but gees, I'm no expert...) Jus working out some reasearch ... #wknd boater.
  • Options
    That have it on Amazon.com... they also sell the gen2 throttle cables. Any idea how long our cables are?
  • Options
    The cables I use are 16" and 18 ft, but check the stamp on the cables you use for the appropriate length needed.   

Dang.., I spent $379 + tax
  • Options
    ... I got stuck on wiring the throttle remote.

The old setup used a 4 prong plug (red, green, blue & purple) which controls the trailering function (up and down) of the engine; located under the lever grip.

However, the new remote uses a 3 prong plug (red, green & blue).  I matched up the colors, except for the purple wire which was attached to blue. The remote will now lower the the engine, but will not lift it.

Any suggestions, besides the beer I drank, before I go back to experimenting?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed... thanks in advance!
  • Options
    It looks like this:
  • Options
    A buddy found this color coded wiring diagram for the gen ii

• Options
    Can you just plug the old controller back in and test function of each wire? Use a meter/test light to figure it out which wire is +12v then toggle the trim switch up/down while checking each wire. Simple to do and you won't be guessing. 
  • Options
    Thats exactly what I did. I found a loose butt connecter on the yellow neutral safety wire. It just needed to be properly crimped. Also matched up each color wire and capped the odd ball (purple)... trim worked just fine! 

Mercury Gen II Throttle Remote control and Gen II gear capable replacement project complete. It felt awesome to feel that 350 roar!

This site kicks arce - the information lives here, you just gotta do the research 

• Options
    edited May 2017
    @diggin2day1 - the gear cables on the fv270 (02) are 16 and 18. The longer of the two is for the engine throttle and the shorter is the shift gear cable.

Are those the same lengths for yet boat?
  • Options
    @AccidentalSuperstar - I haven't done it yet, just had to spend $775 on (1) new stainless riser(don't ask...). I am still interested in doing the throttle controller though. I looked up the part number of the one I posted on Amazon but it's coming up as a Mercury 4000 gen II (not a 4500).... would you have a model number of the throttle controller that you installed? I can't seem to find a 4500. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    No pblm... Hang on a sec!
  • Options

• Options
    The gear cables
  • Options
    The remote.
  • Options
    Thank you sir!!
  • Options

• Options
    I have a side mount on my 2002 FV270... you have a console mount?
  • Options
    No, it's mounted on the starboard side... pbly just like yers. I'll post a few pix in the AM if it wld help
  • Options
    @AccidentalSuperstar - how about some pictures?! Lol
  • Options
    @diggin2day1 - I been swamped! The Admiral has me on a short leash these days... She knows summer boating is calling...
     you're seeing pix taken once the access panel was opened and the remote was prepared for replacement. Just needed to be sure that if anything happened, I could at least get back to this point..... More to come the Admirals calling...
  • Options
    I removed the captains chair for better access. Still, not much room to maneuver. Played with the idea of cutting an access panel in the throttle shaft housing (darker fiberglass above) but so many reasonz why it's a bad idea. The other pix are of the remote with the cover removed. It shows the correct placement of gear cables in the "standard " configuration within the control. The top cable is the 18 ft throttle cable and the bottom is the 16ft shifter cable.
     The original OEM engine throttle remote control was recalled because .... Well, read it yourself here:

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/Merc

Just some background stuff.... It only has to happen to you once ( being stuck on the water w/o power ... drifting with the current b/c your boats transmission was stuck in neutral), before you replace your engine throttle control.
  • Options
    Still looks different than my FV270... here is my throttle control:
  • Options
    Same remote, different mount
  • Options
    Ordered this on Saturday morning.... 
  • Options
    Nice find @diggin2day1. Why not the mercury remote?
  • Options
    The one I posted was without trailer tilt... just trim. There was a ton of excellent reviews on this one and I like the looks of it.
  • Options
    Okay, returned the aftermarket SeaStar control and went with a Mercury Gen 2 and two new Gen 2 cables... The fit, finish and feel of the mercury is far better than the SeaStar and the installation was much easier too. Wasn't too difficult to do... got some fiberglass scratches and cut on my hands/arms but it was worth it. Total cost for controller and two cables: $420 cash...