Wiring Help - I'm a Rookie!!!!!

Brunet33Brunet33 Member Posts: 3
I see all these post about adding new charging plus, LED cup holder lights, or anything with wires. I have zero idea how to do any of this wiring or hooking things up to a switch. Does anyone have a thread for that or can post some info that would help even a beginner to be able to complete these types of projects?

Any thing would get me started in the right direction. 

thanks for the help in advance.....

Comments

• russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    You and me too as far as electrics go! I'd get someone into help out you trust and watch them. Electrics on boats and water not a good combo! I can do everything else but seeing as I'm in England and USA wiring has different colour coding I thought get the pros in.... just my penny's worth
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing is to go to a marine supply store and discuss what you want to install. Each system/product may have a different installation method, for instance:

- adding lights, perhaps you want to go off an existing circuit.

- replacing bulbs ... just about finding the correct fitting replacements in LED (multi color or white).

- adding charge stations ... 12V plug in? Likely need a new line from the battery.

- adding fishing gear ... again 12V, normally new line.

Any new line should go back to the battery, and there are rules in terms of the guage of wire depending on the amperage you need and the length of the wire. You'll need to put a fuse on the hot wire (red) close to the battery.  If you plan on doing a lot of add ons, a fuse block is the better way to go. Remember to always use marine grade components, and follow the rule book, to reduce the potential for any harm to people or boats.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    It's good to have a nice healthy fear/respect of/for electricity.  Even though most of the wiring on a boat you describe is 12 volts DC, it can still make sparks, which make flames.  You may want to try to find an adult education source for automotive electrical training.  A local parts store may be able to point you in the right direction.  Get some good hands on training or find someone who can teach you locally (shop teacher, ham radio operator, auto mechanic).    

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Just ask here on the RBOC forum and someone will walk you through whatever your trying to do. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brunet33 @russellh, Here is the color code wiring chart, for boats.

https://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/wire-color.htm
    Boat Name : 

• 99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    the simple 12v wiring circuit. power from battery to switch, power from switch to appliance, negative from appliance to ground (negative side of battery) 110v ask someone else I don't get it either 
  • russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭