Options

Radio/speaker issues

f15pilotf15pilot Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
hello,

the 2 speakers in the cabin work, but the 4 up top do not work.  It looks like everything is connected. I tried the balance.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your amp is trashed... same thing happened to me, I got rid of the amp and hooked directly to the head unit... (clarion m505).. works fine. Probably would need to put an amp back in the equation if I got a sub.. 
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    But there is also for me a rather complicated setup (at least on my Sony with Quantum AMP) where you program the cockpit speakers to either be used as if they were a sub-woofer or full range speakers, plus all this high pass filter, low pass frequency stuff, plus balance...every season I have to get the books out and reprogram it to get sound out of the rear or cockpit speakers.  Everything reverts to factory settings when I store it for the winter.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amp could be fine. Might be a blown fuse on the amp itself. Try that first.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had that issue, both interior speakers worked but all 6 outside didn't. The amp connection behind the head unit had come apart. Loose wire.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks.  I will heading back down prob Monday.  Might have follow on questions. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What boat is it?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JLASJLAS Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    @f15pilot probably you already have done this, but you mentioned balance instead of the fade function which what controls the front and back speakers. The balance is just left & right.  So before you replace your amp, you might want to check that on your stereo. 
  • Options
    Thanks jlas I will double check that.  Cableguy, it is a 2010 300 fiesta vee
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely check power to the amp.  My amp will not power the speakers on the deck unless the generator is running or I am plugged into shore power.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    One thing I thought was odd the other day.  When I got on the boat, I forgot the house battery was turned off and turned the radio on.  Well, it came on but only worked with the speakers in the cabin.  Once I turned the house battery switch, the amp kicked on and all was ok.  I found it strange that the radio came on at all, but it does tell a little bit about the wiring and that the amp is thru the house battery switch, while the radio itself is not.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Definitely check power to the amp.  My amp will not power the speakers on the deck unless the generator is running or I am plugged into shore power.
    To add... most amps have a power indicator light and it should be fairly easy to check here first.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Dumb question but how do I know my amp is on?
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @f15pilot there should be a light that comes on when you turn your head up on. Its probably on the other side of the amp. I would pull those fuses on the right hand side of the amp and make sure they're good and also test for power at the amp as well. If you have power and the fuses are good (assuming rca connections are good) then your amp is the issue
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check for voltage on the speaker outputs.  I'm assuming you changed the fader setting to balanced?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Ok. I'm not getting the light on the amp. I've replaced both 25 fuses on the amp and that did not help. 2 questions.   If I use a ohm meter to check power coming to the amp, what should it read?  If I need to replace, does anyone know of a good replacement?  I cannot find that amp anywhere?  
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I assume you seen the led on top of the amp.  This is the power light you are looking to see if it is powering on.   Take a digital multimeter and set it to DC power.   The big red wire should see a constant 12v.   The blue wire should see 5v-12v of power only when the radio is turned on.   This is what signals the radio to turn on.   Check first to see that you are getting the 12v power.  Then make sure you are getting the turn on signal when the radio is turned on /off.  I am pretty sure you are going to find your fuse is bad or you have a bad connection.   The big red wire SHOULD have a fuse somewhere near the battery in line within 20" of the battery connection.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options

Also check that you have a good ground. I ran into this problem installing a system this weekend and I was ripping my hair out.  It is also very possible that the amp needs replaced but check to see it is getting power and ground first.

It looks like Sony quit making this amplifier.  There are a lot of equivalents out there.  Rinker used car amplifiers in the cabins of these boats.  Marine amplifiers offer a bit more corrosion resistance and shock resistance but you pay for that.  To match up you want to get a 4 channel amp around 600 Watts.  You can always turn the amp down if it is pushing too many watts.

Here are some marine amps that are out there.  https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i2621_4-channel-marine-amplifiers.html

• Options
     The big red wire SHOULD have a fuse somewhere near the battery in line within 20" of the battery connection.
    My 270's amplifier is factory wired through the battery switch.  It has its own breaker next to the battery switch that is listed "amplifier"

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Johnny is correct, it can be a breaker or fuse.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Wouldn't be the balance (Left & Right), would be Fade (Front & Back).

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz

• Options
    If I have a breaker. Would there still be something on the red wire?
  • Options
    That amp is discontinued.  Any recommendations?
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    @f15pilot ...is the amp ... shot ?
    the rest of your system sony  ?
    any thoughts of upgrading ?
    have to decide what you really want it to do....lots of choices
  • Options
    Hi trip-n. I'm still trouble shooting but it is starting to look like it is shot. I upgraded the speakers only. Deck and amp are Sony.  I wouldn't mind updating as long is it doesn't cost a grip. 
  • Options
    If the round fuse (shown above) is not popped out, could it still be bad?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    if your head unit is/was as old as amp and you have upgraded speakers
    might be a good time to get new ... if your not sub n a nice amp and head unit somewhere around a half stack or a bit more
  • Options
    How do you remove the round fuse fuse from pic above
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ring spins off the fuse.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct