Options

Battery Connection - Where does this wire go?

nbumm3nbumm3 Member Posts: 5
First post, so please let me know if you need more info:
I have a 2005 232 Captiva Cuddy with 350mag Bravo 3 drive.  I am trying to correctly wire a battery switch that the previous owner fudged a little on. I have traced all main wires to the best of my knowledge expect one.  It's a positive terminal wire that has a negative associated with it as well. Both appear to have crimped on connectors that were not shrink wrapped.  Positive wire is red with black diagonal strip. Fused with a 30 amp fuse. But continually blowing the fuse. Would love some help if anyone knows anything about it.  Thanks so much!  

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Looks pretty much like the way the dealership installed my Lowrance directly to a battery (the posts with the wing nuts).  Not usually the way the factory installs accessories.  
    see if you have some accessory like a stereo amp, fish-finder or something getting no power.  Maybe the accessory has been removed by the previous owner when he sold it?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be the mercathode.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30 Amp is a pretty heavy fuse for anything electronic except maybe a stereo amp. If it's the right fuse in there...
    And if it's blowing right away I'd suspect a short somewhere. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Thank you all for your responses!  I am needing to get back there and contort my body well enough to fully trace it I suppose.  The mercathode was totally new to me as in the past I've only owned Alphas. I am not sure if I have that system in place, but I'll try and locate the wiring controller.  I also currently have the props off as I had them reconditioned from our local prop shop.  Thanks again all.  
  • Options
    Well it ended up being in a group of wires that ran to the dash and then took a 90 degree turn down and was hiding under the floor.  It appears as though it was a factory install due to the way the wire was cleanly bundled. I'm guessing it is wire to add an amp, but it was causing a short as the + and - were both exposed and touching, thus blowing the fuse. Took me a while to trace it. Taped all bare connectors just in case and will be labeling the wires by the battery to ensure any future owners will know.  Will add some pictures in case anyone else experiences this as well.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be the factory installed amp. Good find!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good find now you can have loud music 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that looks like it's for an amp, with all the color coded speaker cables. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks all!!   No idea who took the amp out or if there was actually one installed.  I'm assuming there was, as the connections were attached to the battery and fused. I am the third owner of the boat, so there is no telling.  I started out working with this because the battery switch the previous owner used had only accessories routed to the common. Ignition and main engine components were wired straight to one battery.  I want them wired to the switch so I have easy access to change from battery to battery each time we go out. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well no amp equals no speakers working
  • Options
    All 4 speakers are working without any issues.  As best I can tell they are wired to the stereo wiring harness at the dash.  It's a Sony radio and Sony speakers. 
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Somebody took the factory set up out and didn't spend the money for a new amp!  Tunes will sound MUCH better if ran through an amplifier. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nbumm3 said:
    All 4 speakers are working without any issues.  As best I can tell they are wired to the stereo wiring harness at the dash.  It's a Sony radio and Sony speakers. 
    I know on my 342 that all the cockpit speakers go directly to the amp. 
  • Options
    ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Also, don't hook them back up to the battery if your not going to use for an amp. OR....You could add a small fuse block to install a few accessories like 12 v plugs or usb, led lighting, cup holders. Just a thought!
    Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    nbumm3,  I like what you said about labeling both ends of the harness so the next owner will know about it in case they want to install an amplifier to power up a sub-woofer, or really turn up the volume.  And, as you and others said, insulate both ends of the exposed wiring.  The Sony radio is adequate to drive the 4 basic speakers as you mentioned and will use far less amperage, which can be a good thing when you're out on the water, anchored somewhere for the day and want your batteries to last longer.