Options

110 volt fridge operation

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure if my Vitrifrigo fridge is operating on 110v or not. No problem on 12v with battery switch on, but if I turn battery switch off, no light in fridge even with shore power panel switch to on.  Maybe only a 12v model? Or not plugged in? Don't see a switch anywhere or breaker labeled refrigerator. 
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My boat has a breaker labeled fridge
    normally all fridges are 12 volt with 110 automatic converter. It's all automatic and switches on its own when senses 12 or 110
    you should have a plug behind the fridge 
    I know my boat does 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take out the trash can and see if you can see.why do want to turn your battery off?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound, you have a 270 correct? to see if it has 110, you will have to remove screws that hold fridge in pull it out far enough to see the 110 wire. update your profile to add the model boat you have.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Or it could be just the 12 volt
    which is fine if you run your battery chargers at the marina 
  • Options
    My fridge for example has 2 leads for 12 volt and regular plug for shore power 
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Checked again tonight and definitely not running on 110v. Only breaker labeled fridge is the little 12v one at the helm. Will pull it out and see if any 110v plug attached. Or a spot for one and I'll run a wire. 2000 FV270. Not leaving batteries on because I'm pretty sure the on-board charger isn't working. No lights as per pic and I pulled the leads off one of the batteries tonight and put a voltage meter on them and Nada. New to me boat and a few glitches.  Mechanic from the dealer is meeting me at the boat tomorrow morning to check a few things. Will add the charger to the list.
  • Options
    I don't see any lights on your charger. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    I don't see any lights on your charger. 
    Yep. That's the point of the pic. Why I'm not running fridge off battery when not on the boat. And why I want to find out if operable on 110 until I get charger replaced or fixed. My beers getting warm! :'(
  • Options
    On my 03, its auto 12v/110. if the fridge is turned on. its running. You may have to buy some ice. lol 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    May have figured it out. Pulled out the fridge this morning and although labeled for AC-DC, it appears from the instructions I found that or whatever reason it looks like  my compressor and controller is for DC only. Opinions?
    http://www.vitrifrigofridges.co.uk/installation.htm

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same brand fridge.  It has 2 separate power connections.  Previous boat/fridge was DC only.  Wasn't really a problem since the battery charger was on when shore power was on.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AC breaker for the fridge will be in the cabin. The DC breaker will be where your battery switch is at, or at the helm. Your fridge runs on DC only. There should be an external AC to DC converter. On my Waeco fridge, I have a Mobitronic MPS-35 switching power supply that plugs into the outlet behind the fridge.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks @Stodge and @Cableguy Greg.
    Definitely no breaker on the panel in the cabin.
    12v breaker at the helm. Based upon the diagram on the website link above, and the pic
    of my controller, looks like DC only?
  • Options
    If you pull up the model number, it shows AC/DC. Hmm...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have a power cord connected to the power supply box for 110
  • Options
    Does the refrigerator have another power supply box on the other side of the compressor?
  • Options
    That pic is a 12v supply only
  • Options
    Nope.  No other power supply box. That's what was confusing me, so I thought I'd call in the experts.  ;)
    Fridge is Cleary labeled for AC but looks like compressor is not. Was maybe switched out at some point?
    Mechanic from dealer currently on board with me going over the snags we identified during trial. One if them us it appears the on-board charger isn't working.  If we get that going, then I guess it doesn't matter. I can run it on battery/shore power. 
  • Options
    No, the compressor is always 12 volts on the dual voltage models. Its the other power supply that yours does not have that changes it over from 110 to 12V. You could add it. 
  • Options
    Ahhh.  OK. Makes sense. Thanks Handy.
    Just back from spending 5 hours on board with mechanic from the dealer.  Small miss in the engine cleared up by changing water separator and cleaning up the distributor cap and rotor, although I'll probably do the plugs , wires and distributor soon. Shower sump fixed. Freshwater pump working. On board charger was toast and electric head conversion not working, so a return visit with parts needed, but overall coming along. The hospital of buying a 17 years old boat that's sat for over a year.
  • Options
    Good to hear that they are fixing the issues.

The Mobiltronic unit that I listed above does the switching. You could pick one of those up. If not, when your charger is fixed, it will keep the batteries up, which run the fridge.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I bet this module would work on your fridge if you can put an outlet behind the fridge
  • Options
    Good to hear that they are fixing the issues.

The Mobiltronic unit that I listed above does the switching. You could pick one of those up. If not, when your charger is fixed, it will keep the batteries up, which run the fridge.
    I think that's the plan guys. Get a new on-board charger and then I can just leave the fridge on 12v with shore power and leave a battery switch on. No extra cost or work for me. New charger will be coming from the dealer. Although I might suggest to them that for a few more $$ which I would be happy to contribute that we go from a two bank to a three bank because I'm thinking I'd like to run two house batteries.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO If you have 2 house batteries you'll want to put them in parallel versus having another switch.  By doing that you have the equivalent of one really big house.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    IMO If you have 2 house batteries you'll want to put them in parallel versus having another switch.  By doing that you have the equivalent of one really big house.  :)
    Yep, that's the plan, which now that I think about it means I only need a two bank charger. I guess even with the new smart chargers you can't have three charge feeds if two of the batteries are connected parallel.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup 2 banks,one small and strong,other big and long.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct