Options

Trim Limit Switch on Bravo 3

JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in Engine Discussions

My throttle control has the dull trim up and trailer button in one and will only move the drive up when you push the switch all the way in (trailer position).  I assume this is the trim limit switch on the drive.  Can I just change the switch or do I have to pull the drive and change the wires too?

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Pucks are changed while the drive is off 
    you have adjustment but most of the time they get water in them and that the end

test to make sure you are getting signal at the pump for up and down 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Check your relays while your at it also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is doing the same thing, weird thing is SOMETIMES the smaller adjustment works, othertimes it doesn't. Putting it on the winter 2017/2018 list.. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Those sending units are known for going bad
    reason it works after a small adjustments is because you are scraping some of the corrosion away
    end result is to get a new one 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got a pair from jet.com for $77 or so after a new account 15% discount code SPRING15. Free shipping and OEM, not copy. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    icoultha said:
    I just got a pair from jet.com for $77 or so after a new account 15% discount code SPRING15. Free shipping and OEM, not copy. 

Thanks!
  • Options

Has anyone spliced a trim limit switch in without pulling the drive.  I know this is not the ideal way to take care of the problem but I am just trying to get by for a year or two.  I was able to find a trim limit switch on ebay for $25 and I have been told by a couple of people that this is doable. I plan on using heat shrink connectors, tubing, and starbrite liquid electrical tape to seal. 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the same but it was the indicator
  • Options
    I did the same but it was the indicator

Thanks, I think it is worth a try. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that with my Alpha drive when I had a 232. It will work for a year or two before you have to do it again. The one thing that I didn't do was use butt connectors that you heat shrink to make them waterproof.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I did that with my Alpha drive when I had a 232. It will work for a year or two before you have to do it again. The one thing that I didn't do was use butt connectors that you heat shrink to make them waterproof.

Cool, I'm going to give it a try with heat shrink but connectors that I will put some heat shrink tubing over it, and coat everything with liquid electrical tape. 

I also saw a youtube video where they drilled a hole in the transom above the waterline to run the wires through, but I don't want to get into that!

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    You can get heatshrink that is lined with adhesive on the inside. I have have had excellent results with it. Totally waterproof.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so mine seems to only work when the boat is on plane.. weird.. I guess it's fine if it does that, not worth worrying about till next year.. 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    so mine seems to only work when the boat is on plane.. weird.. I guess it's fine if it does that, not worth worrying about till next year.. 
    I wonder if water is getting inside the switch and acting as a conductor and completing the circuit (acting as the drive being all the way up) then when you are on plane the water drains out and opens the circuit?  Crazy!  It is a bad design.