Options

Captiva 232-Gel coat refinish-Compound, Polish and Wax. Before and after pictures & how I did it.

SkeeterSkeeter Member Posts: 6
Purchased a new to me 2005 Captiva 232 with a 350 MAG Bravo III with under 300 hours on it.  She is in really great shape, but I'm on the picky side and wanted it to look as good as she possibly could.  

I determined the oxidation was not so bad that I needed to wet sand first, and that I would start with compounding and work my way up from there. This was my first time doing this, so it was all new to me!

Here is the info on how I restored the finish:

• Dewalt 7/9" Variable Speed polisher with soft start - Qty. 1
  • 9" 3M Wool compounding pad (Single sided) #05711 - Qty. 1
  • 9" 3M Wool polishing pad (Single sided) #05713 - Qty. 1
  • 9" 3M Foam polishing pad #05725 - Qty. 1
  • 3M Marine Rubbing compound # 09004 - Qty 1-1/2 quarts
  • 3M Marine Finesse-It II Finishing Material - Qty 1 quart
  • 3M Marine Ultra Performance paste wax
  • 3M Vinyl tape #471 Qty one 1"Wide, one 1/2" wide 
  • H20 misting bottle - Qty 1
  • Meguiar's Marine boat soap - Qt 1
  • Terry cloth rags (White ones) Qty 1 package 
  • Microfiber towels - Qty 1 
  • Blue painters masking tape.
  • Plastic to cover parts of the boat / trailer not be refinished. The wool pads and compound make a mess 
Step 1 - Wash boat thoroughly.
Step 2 - You are going to want to mask your decals. I tried it without masking and the compound took the colors off the decal and turned it white. Also, cover your boat with plastic (The areas you are not compounding).
Step 3 Apply a generous amount of rubbing compound (In a crisscross pattern) to the compounding pad.
Step 4 Set your RPM's to 1,800 + / - 1,000 and work a 2' X 2' area at a time methodically covering the area top to bottom and then side to side. (For me I did this step twice) 
Step 5 Once you have finished compounding the whole side of the boat, use the H20 spray bottle and spray / wipe the side down before proceeding to the next step
Step 6 Apply a generous amount of Finesse-it II (In a crisscross pattern) to the Polishing pad.
Step 7 Set your RPM's to 1,800 + / - 1,000 and work a 2' X 2' area at a time methodically covering the area top to bottom and then side to side. - Polish until you have a high gloss and basically streak free surface
Step 8 Using the Performance paste wax, hand apply in a circular motion and let dry to a haze
Step 9 Using the foam polishing pad set your RPM's to 1,200 + / - 1,000 and work a 2' X 2' area at a time methodically covering the area top to bottom and then side to side until you have a high gloss finish with almost no marks left behind. 
 Step 10 Using the micro microfiber towel and wipe any reaming marks off the boat and buff to a high gloss

*Note, I am by no means an expert in this, I'm just showing you what I used and the before and after results. I'm pretty happy with it!  

Working on the white portion:

Decals all masked up 7 ready for compounding 

After 

Before

After

White & Black done!

Comments

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Fantastic job. That's on my to do list this week. Well not a full wet sand but a solid wash and buff job for sure 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Thank You! Appreciate the comment. So glad it's done! 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds just like the method by Shurhold.. wonder what the price difference is..

Mine ended up like an actual mirror after 4 hours of work.. :) 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Skeeter, come on over, I'll buy all the beer you can drink, BBQ ribs or steaks what ever you want. Looks nice!
    If he cannot come the offer is the same, to J3ff
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    AccidentalSuperstarAccidentalSuperstar Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Sweet... luv the step by step instructions and the pics. Learning tons! @Skeeter thanks for the lesson.
    If your going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Very nice how-to @skeeter !!  The boat looks beautiful!  @j3ff , yours is great as well!  I admire you guys with the darker hulls!  I wouldn't have the patience to keep buffing them clean.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The finesse it II is a great product. I've used that same wax as well, but I've come to prefer the Collenite 885 wax, over the others. Nice work. 

Here is my '03 232 after the Finesse it II and Collenite wax. 
  • Options
    J3ff - Wow! You are not kidding about it being a mirror!  Plus thats a big boat - Looks impressive.  Someday I Think I'm going to remove all the decals, wet sand and start over with the compounding.  Then maybe just one simple strip near the water line.  I would have saved so much time compounding if I had no decals!  

randy56 - Ha Ha, Thanks!  Beer huh? Hmmmm, OK, head over to the Alchemist Brewery in Stow Vermont and grab some cases of Heady Topper And some Hop Crushers :)

AccidentalSuperstar - No problem, I like single sheet step by step instructions!

Dream_Inn - Thanks for the compliment! Black (Or darker hulls) are such a trade-off for sure.  What color is yours?

69fastback - I almost bought that Collenite.  Question, do you use it for the bottpm of the hull too?  I'm getting ready to hand apply / remove a coat on the bottom of the hull and I have not decided if I'm going to use the 3M Ultra paste wax or the Meguiars Marine one step cleaner wax #50, or even Nu-finish.  By the way, your boat looks really good!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Skeeter said:

Dream_Inn - Thanks for the compliment! Black (Or darker hulls) are such a trade-off for sure.  What color is yours?

All  white here!  It was the one option when looking for a used 400 that I wouldn't give on.  Too much of a hull on a 400.  As I've said, I love the color hulls.  They just aren't something I'm willing to deal with.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @69fastback, after seeing that yellow gloss I'm in! (04 yellow/white 212) It has never looked like that. Skeeter, I bookmarked this thread and trying it this month....if it warms up enough to wax(34 here today)
  • Options
    Rescue1Rescue1 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Skeeter said:
    J3ff - Wow! You are not kidding about it being a mirror!  Plus thats a big boat - Looks impressive.  Someday I Think I'm going to remove all the decals, wet sand and start over with the compounding.  Then maybe just one simple strip near the water line.  I would have saved so much time compounding if I had no decals!  

randy56 - Ha Ha, Thanks!  Beer huh? Hmmmm, OK, head over to the Alchemist Brewery in Stow Vermont and grab some cases of Heady Topper And some Hop Crushers :)

AccidentalSuperstar - No problem, I like single sheet step by step instructions!

69fastback - I almost bought that Collenite.  Question, do you use it for the bottpm of the hull too?  I'm getting ready to hand apply / remove a coat on the bottom of the hull and I have not decided if I'm going to use the 3M Ultra paste wax or the Meguiars Marine one step cleaner wax #50, or even Nu-finish.  By the way, your boat looks really good!

Thank you sir, and yes, I used it on top and bottom. 
  • Options
    Just wanted to provide an update on this, going into year 3 and its still looking good! Just been repeating steps 9-10!.