Options

Oil change

love2cruiselove2cruise Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
Hi Guys & Gals, 
It's that time again and I'm getting the boat ready for the season. My question is do I need to change the engine and lower unit oil since I barely used the boat last season? I changed them the previous season and only put on around 10 hours last season.
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    change it. 
    chemical reaction with contaminants even sedentary wears oil's TBN by itself.  
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I know people that go a couple of years with out changing it.  For me its $16.00 piece of mind.  I change it every year regardless.  It one of the easiest maintenance items you can do.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    love2cruiselove2cruise Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Thanks will do... it's not the money but tight on time before launch date. I'll have to make it work somehow.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least do the engine oil, you should do the lower but I know lots of people that don't put many hours on and do that every other year. Definitely change engine oil. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would change both the engine oil and the drive oil. If you don't change the drive oil, check it to be sure there is no water in it. Loosen one of the screws on the drive and let some run out. It should be blueish in color. If it is milky, you have a problem. I used to never change the drive lube on my old Alpha One. After joining this site, and being on the old RBO site, I am a firm believer in doing preventative maintenance. I change my engine oil in the fall. I check the drive lube, then I change that in the spring before I splash her.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

My friend bought a 20' Stingray a few years ago and I don't think the drive oil was ever changed.  It took an impact screwdriver to get the bottom screw cap out and all you could smell was burnt oil.  His outdrive only lasted about a 1/2 season more before it blew up.

Poor guy had a new drive put on and his gear oil reserve hose got a split in it and leaked all the gear oil in the bilge and that one blew up too! 

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change it. There's enough other stuff that can go wrong to a boat, you don't need premature failure because you didn't take the time to change the oil and lube. It's easy peace of mind (and a good investment).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Al. I always change both engine oil and drive gear lube at the end of the season before winter layup. Hate to leave old oil in the crankcase all winter.