Options

Best spot for VHF power takeoff

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mounting a new VHF radio. Upon pulling out the old one I discovered that the P. O. had wired to the 12 volt accessory plug on the dash which appears to not be switched. I'm thinking I'd like to move the power source to somewhere controlled by the ignition switch like the stereo. I tried the breaker ACC but it's live all the time the battery switch is on too.
What's my best bet? Does anyone wire their VHF radio direct?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I have always direct wired my vhf radios. Fuse in-line. The only switch that can shut it down (other than 'on' switch on the radio is the main battery switch. -Paul 
  • Options
    I can see some rationale in that I suppose. Fridge is 12v so I'll likely leave the battery switch on when at the dock on shore power. Just have to remember to turn off the radio so as not to bug the neighbors when I'm away.....
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I 2nd having the VHF always having power.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Yes, use always-on power for the VHF.  In an emergency, your crew might not have time to figure out why the radio isn't working.  

If the VHF has a separate GPS, the GPS should always be on too.
  • Options
    Thanks once again guys. Went with same power takeoff as previous install, so full time power. Decision was helped by the previous advice and also an approaching thunderstorm, so just wanted to get it done.  Separate GPS/plotter installed by P.O. and I think on accessory key, but I'll check.  Easy to switch to full time power. Also looking at installing a second house battery for overnights on the hook so I can run all this without killing the battery. No gen currently.