Options

toilet water source

Reading through the discussions, it seems a lot of boats use sea water to flush the toilet.  It seems the boats that use sea water have a seacock in the location of the shower drain.  Well my 06 270 only has one seacock and it is marked 'air conditioner'.  My toilet has a blue water line going to the bottom of the toilet which leads me to believe my toilet is supplied with fresh water.  Anyone out there have a similar setup?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Yes!  

There are two schools of thought.  If the toilet is supplied by sea water, you can always flush, but sometimes the holding tank gets smelly.  If the toilet is supplied by the fresh water tank, there's usually less odor, but you can't flush if your fresh water tank is empty, or if your pump quits.

Having used both, I prefer the fresh water feed.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the sea water one would be on the port side of the mid bilge.  However, I would NEVER use it.. I always tell everyone to do their business and then fill the bowl up with fresh water from the sink/shower faucet..   you dont want salt water mixing with crap in your tank.. fresh water makes it much better.   The blue would be the normal toilet chemicals that are put in to "clean" it up.. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    the sea water one would be on the port side of the mid bilge.  However, I would NEVER use it.. I always tell everyone to do their business and then fill the bowl up with fresh water from the sink/shower faucet..   you dont want salt water mixing with crap in your tank.. fresh water makes it much better.   The blue would be the normal toilet chemicals that are put in to "clean" it up.. 
    I do the same.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Thanks to all, I agree fresh water makes more sense.