Options

GelCoat Issues

snowman6306snowman6306 Member Posts: 3
Good Morning,
I have recently sent my boat to have it compounded/waxed to take care of the issue of heavy oxidization, subsequently the person doing this for me has found that the gelcoat is somehow heavily damaged or that there were repairs all over the hull??.. I'm stuck as to what I should do to remedy this. We purchased our 2007 Rinker 240 DB in 2010 as a leftover at our local dealer and there was no damage that the dealer told us about. We purchased this boat as "NEW" and now it seems that there was substantial damage that we were unaware of until now. What is the warrenty on the gelcoat? What do I do to remedy this situation? The marina has sold to a new owner and I had many, many issues with the prior owner as I'm sure you can read in my other posts to this forum.

Please help, I do not want to lose another half of my boating season due to this!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Hey snowman...checking with Randy on this issue....stay tuned.
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Here's the response from Randy Rinker: 

Gelcoat finish is not covered under warranty. To repair the gelcoat finish it could be sanded then buffed or new gelcoat could be sprayed on and buffed back to a finish shine.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it blistering or actual hull damage? Big difference.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    snowman6306snowman6306 Member Posts: 3
    no blistering. It's as if there was possible damage and repairs were done and refinished to match existing. the gelcoat will not buff out to be uniform color. there are faded areas all over. As I said, I bought this boat as NEW and there was no hull damage disclosed...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get it documented, maybe a survey then a talk with the dealer.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    sflippensflippen Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

Is the person who did the color buffing qualified ? I have seen this before, too much abbrasive, wrong speed possibly. I am not going to question his ability but it could be that the damage occured during the buffing process which will cause the finish to be uneven. It is worht checking with another detail person to verify.

FLIP'N OUT