Clarion M3170 Help

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will be using the original head unit that came with the boat for the foreseeable future until the boat units build back up after purchase and outfitting. I already have a Bluetooth adapter that works great and old enough to have plenty of CD's and even cassettes for the matter. Have searched endlessly for a manual with no success.  In particular I'd love to know how the fade and left to right balance is controlled so I can switch the speakers to only run in the cabin so as not to disturb neighbors in the evening. Anyone else have the same or similar unit?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't find a fade option you can put a separate switch in on the deck speaker wires and be able to turn them off.
    2008 330EC
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Dude get that old pos out and throw it in the drink
    get a new one for 100
    FYI 
    ur fade and balance are all on the left side of the head 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    zaverin1 said:
    FYI 
    ur fade and balance are all on the left side of the head 
    Yeah, I can see that.  But it's a multi-function button that is also volume control. Which other button combo do I press to get fade or balance? And when I replace the old p.o.s. it'll be for something that'll be more than $100. :D
    Got it. Just needed a few more beers and play with more buttons. The button in the middle needs to be pushed a bunch of times to cycle through bass treble balance fade and volume.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See you always make better decisions after a few beers B)
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    It's not the head which u need to replace but the amp and speakers 
    u can have a 50 dollar head and push 3000 watt stereo 
    No amp. That I've found anyway. There's a 6 cd changer under the port vee though. But I'm good. Gets plenty loud enough for me.  I don't need to entertain the entire lake with my musical taste, or lack of. 
    all I was trying to say is I purchased a pioneer head to upgrade some old pos clarion CD player it had.
    my pioneer was under 100 on eBay and comes packed with all standard goodies
    i don't need marine head because it's out of the weather 
    all of my sound is usually controlled with remote or via Bluetooth from all over the boat.
    Speakers I run are pioneer 6.5 
    i have 4 of them 
    2 in cabin and 2 on main
    going to add 2 more 8 inch on main with amp
    so not trying to be an **** I was just saying don't waste your time and money on adapters.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 had amp mounted on top of the TV cabinet you had to shove head in to the ceilings to see it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Thanks guys. No tv cabinet on my 2000. The head unit is mounted on the galley console above the microwave. Could be up there but can't see without tearing everything out. Have to wait anyway for a new sound system. Too many other things I want to upgrade like new batteries and charger that take precedence .
    Even if there is an amp ans you can't find it 
    who cares
    new system will bypass it

If I ever pull out the old head unit I'll see it right away anyway.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see some pictures of your boat got any of the inside?
    J3ff said:
    Let's see some pictures of your boat got any of the inside?
    Not really anything "glitzy". Still cleaning her up and changing a few things. Most of these are from the initial visit at the broker.
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    It's not the head which u need to replace but the amp and speakers 
    u can have a 50 dollar head and push 3000 watt stereo 
    I can't agree with this statement... Whatever you put into an amplifier is what you will get out of an amplifier(only louder). So if you are putting junk into it, you'll be just getting louder junk out of it. Each component to a sound system makes a difference... head unit, amplifier and speakers... the sound quality that you get out of it will only be as good as the weakest link. 
    I like the round table!! can't believe they switched it around so much in just a few years.   I also like your stove better.. I never plan on using the alcohol part of mine, which I think is why they went with the glass top and then burner under it. Would much prefer just a glass top heating element. 
    I am sorry but I was making a generic comment
    most built sound systems don't even utilize the heads amp
    so your cd or blue tooth is all handled by amp and speakers 
    if you are taking about reading capabilities then there is really no study that compare Pyle vs clarion or pioneer etc.
    its all based on reliability and options specially when it comes to marine world 
    i am not telling him to go and buy what he has now but any pyle or boss cheap would be miles ahead of what he has now.
    l paid 100 for a pioneer head and my system rocks with no amp 
    now this summer with 2 more 8 inch speakers added and amp it will sound much better
    here's what the later ones came with.. wonder if it's easy to replace with something like you have.. 

I've heard from many that alcohol stoves are too dangerous for what they are worth.  I don't plan on ever needing it while "out at sea" anyway.. grilling will be fine. :) 
    My boat has that option
    u can use it on the hook i guess 
    zaverin1 said:
    I am sorry but I was making a generic comment
    most built sound systems don't even utilize the heads amp
    so your cd or blue tooth is all handled by amp and speakers 
    if you are taking about reading capabilities then there is really no study that compare Pyle vs clarion or pioneer etc.
    its all based on reliability and options specially when it comes to marine world 
    i am not telling him to go and buy what he has now but any pyle or boss cheap would be miles ahead of what he has now.
    l paid 100 for a pioneer head and my system rocks with no amp 
    now this summer with 2 more 8 inch speakers added and amp it will sound much better
    When you play a cd, Bluetooth, iPod, etc through your radio the audio signal doesn't just pass directly to the amplifier... A lot of things will determine the sound quality that reaches your amp: pre-amp capabilities, line level output impedence, line level output voltage, onboard signal processing. I am probably just "splitting hairs" here and most people wouldn't be trying to accurately reproduce Tchaikovsky on their boats anyway....lol. I just don't agree with the "use a crappy radio and the amp/speakers will make up for it" theory. I am actually on the other end of this... I have a great head unit(Eclipse ud750), great speakers(4-MX650) and a crappy 4 channel Kenwood amp.

zaverin1 said:
    My boat has that option
    I have the same setup too but I'm scared to use the alcohol. 

zaverin1 said:
    My boat has that option
    I have the same setup too but I'm scared to use the alcohol. 
    yup - everyone I know says the same thing, which is why I'd just prefer the regular glass stove top.. 
    edited April 2017
    No big deal
    ita basically a candle lol
    Defender.com has a bunch of different cooktops..
    That Kenyon ceramic cook top I have can be picked up for around $200. Only good on 110 though. I  would have liked alcohol for making coffee in the morning on the lake. Instead I'll end up using a portable butane unit I have.
    Although this is my first cruiser, I've been around boats all my life and even ran a small marina one summer and like anything I believe that the alcohol burners are fine if used properly and kept watched while in use.
    Willhound said:
    That Kenyon ceramic cook top I have can be picked up for around $200. Only good on 110 though. I  would have liked alcohol for making coffee in the morning on the lake. Instead I'll end up using a portable butane unit I have.
    Although this is my first cruiser, I've been around boats all my life and even ran a small marina one summer and like anything I believe that the alcohol burners are fine if used properly and kept watched while in use.
    I may have to just get your cook top and replace it.. honestly it just looks so much better!  Also - if there was ever a need to cook something on it while away from the dock it can run off of a generator right?? I run the A/C off a the little honda generator without an issue.. how much wattage does a single burner require? 
    I mean my model has 110 and wick 
    1200 watts. A genny would run it. I just don't have a gen. Specs here

http://www.cookwithkenyon.com/shop/caribbean-1-burner/
    I think it fits the same hole. 
    @zaverin1 has both electric and alcohol.  That's the one I'd rather have.
    edited May 2017
    Thank you, sorry for the off topic posts! Found it on amazon! 

https://www.amazon.com/Kenyon-B41605-Caribbean-Cooktop-120-volt/dp/B0011YNILC

Post edited by J3ff on