Options

Bulkhead Thickness (Random)

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Guys - Random question regarding the bulkhead...I am going to mount a piece of seaboard to the bulkhead in the engine compartment so I can mount my amps on it but want to be sure of the thickness of it as I don't want the screw protruding into the aft cabin. Planning on making a plexiglass enclosure around the amps once they are mounted as well. Sorry for the random question lol
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Unless the amps are spark proof, you don't want them in the engine room.  Also, engine room gets quite hot, probably not the place for amps that will get hot as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Def do not put them in the engine room...! 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I have checked with a couple installers and all of them have said the have mounted many amps in engine compartments. All the amps with fans are all brushless fans anyways. The amps I am using do not have cooling fans
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not having cooling fans might be more of a reason not to install them in the engine compartment. Between the heat and moisture down there I would try to install them somewhere in the cabin.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the "no amp" in the engine compartment.  They would need some kind of cooling, not a plastic box.  

Mine is under the V berth.  On my old 280 the amps (main and sub) were in a cabinet.  You want it in a dry location and there needs to be some air flow for the amp.  Granted that puts it further from the batteries so you'll need more (expensive) wire to give it power.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thats the issue @Stodge is that I am trying everything possible to be as close to the battery as possible. Really do not want 0 gauge wiring going to the cabin. I don't even know where I would mount 2 amps in my 280 in the cabin to be honest.
  • Options
    How loud do you need your music? Why not just buy a quality head unit, speakers/wires and be done with it?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 the point of this thread wasn't to get in a debate over how loud someones music should be or how loud this like it. Thanks
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @jme097 I agree with wanting the amp as close to the battery as possible.  And I also agree that #4 is likely good enough.  I don't know the layout of the newer 280s as mine was a 1997.  But I gotta think there is a void (dead space behind a seat/cabinet/wall) that could house your amp.  I was surprised how much space there was behind the fridge.  

Must be some other 280 owners who can describe the location of their amps.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    @Stodge I have 0 gauge both positive and negative to distribution blocks to 4 gauge. I went over kill to avoid those issues that are related to undersized wire. I just want to avoid long runs (more than 10 ft each way) and also mounting it in a cubbie doesn't let the heat escape that well. I learned that on my last boat because the amps kept going into protect from over heating
  • Options
    You will have the same issue with them in the engine room for sure.  As mentioned, I'd look in the areas behind the fridge, under cockpit sink or even under helm seat.  They are all pretty close to the battery.  (sorry we took this topic a little off of your original question, but I do believe we are trying to help.  You will get corrosion quickly in the ER for electronics that are not made for that hot environment)

• Options
    edited May 2017
    @Dream_Inn I get the help for sure but I have done a lot of research and called around to many install places as well. The amps are JL Marine amps that I have done a ton of research on and they do not get hot to the touch. I am going to look at the fridge area this weekend and see if I can figure out a set up in there if possible. 
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    My previous 30' cruiser I had 4 amps, 2 of them being marine grade with built in fans and those were mounted in the engine compartment for 11 yrs and still working great to this day. I had installed ;
    6- 12" woofers
    8- mid range
    8- tweeters
    2- outdoor marine Bose 151's with crossovers working only mids/highs.
    All Kenwood, with an alpine acoustic monitor.
    I will be doing a similar install on my new to me Rinker, the woofers are all mounted out of sight. I will be planning in depth for the hole cut outs will be painful but worth it when complete. The stereo on the boat now is good but I've been spoiled from my previous install.
    I LOVE MY MUSIC, LOVE IT CRISP, LOUD & CLEAR! 
    Everyone has their preference.
  • Options
    @bry1429 thanks for the support! haha. I have a 6 channel and an 8 channel amp powering 4 7.7's and 8 6.5's (all JL) with a 12 inch sub. Nothing wrong with loud clear music. Were the amps that were installed in the engine compartment covered or shielded at all? I have read countless people installing amps in the ER and no problems and have talked to installers who have done the same with no issues. 
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    The marine amps I installed were exposed in the engine compartment on a plank of thick plexi glass i mounted off the the side of the water heater. a good marine amp is weather proof (not water proof) "shielded" with quality silicone boots for all wire connections and fuses. Good quality Marine amps are built to be Protected from light rain, moisture, direct blazing hot sunlight & humidity. Engine room heat won't bother them. Just don't hose them down for cleaning  B)

If I had perfect install conditions inside the cabin or elsewhere on the boat for those 2 amps i would have gone that route and opted out of the engine room but this install worked perfectly. I did already have 1 down in the cabin and another under the captain's seat. New boat stereo installs some amps are mounted in the engine rooms. The system your installing is going to sound sweeeet! 
    Good luck and ROCK OUT @jme097
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    jme097 said:
    @aero3113 the point of this thread wasn't to get in a debate over how loud someones music should be or how loud this like it. Thanks
    @jme097 Agreed,didn't know you were installing that many speakers and a sub. Thought it was a basic system.Didn't mean to stir anything up. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 no worries. Sorry if I came across with a a-hole tone. Wasn't meant like that!
  • Options
    @bry1429 I appreciate the input! Definitely helped a lot! 
  • Options
    jme097 said:
    @aero3113 no worries. Sorry if I came across with a a-hole tone. Wasn't meant like that!

I don't think any of us take each other that way on site (well, except maybe Handy :) - JK ).  Sounds like you've done a ton of research and you have a thick bulkhead for your needs.  I love the great sounding systems, I'm just always too cheap to dish the money out for them.  (but yet I don't mind $1k in gas for a weekend, go figure!)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming from a family that always had great sound systems in my homes and cars, I am jealous that you are putting one in your boat. My 232 had a decent system with subs, component mids and highs along with two amps and a crossover. Currently I don't see it happening for my 280EC. I love music while out and about, but the admiral is all about conversation when friends are aboard. I wouldn't mind adding that 5 channel amp that @Alswagg mentioned above so I could add a sub for that extra thump that the boat is missing. I just wonder what model it was. I see that they have some new micro sized amps. When you get her finished, be sure to post some pics of your setup. I would love to see how it turns out.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Greg. I went through and installed a system in 2015 when I first got the boat but it was more of a budget system almost? I am over happy with it but theres a lot of room for improvement so I figured why not lol. I have read about the JL 6.5's and 7.7 speakers is that if you tune them correctly you almost don't need a sub (just in case you're interested). I am 29 so when every weekend we have a boat full of 6-8 people with water beer pong and such so a good system is needed! I will definitely post pictures as all the cockpit speakers are the new LED's that JL released (7.7's)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Got my amps mounted this morning in the engine compartment. Mounted spacers behind them to allow for air movement. The install is not done yet. I ordered two breakers and for some reason only one came in so I am using a old fuse for now until the other breaker comes in lol. This was taken before I got the rest of the wires clamped and ran.  Went on a half hour run and felt them after and they were still cool to the touch. Only 65 here today so it'll be an experiment when it finally gets warm here. 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    How loud do you need your music? Why not just buy a quality head unit, speakers/wires and be done with it?
    that is exactly what I did and it's way too loud to be on the water at it's loudest setting. 
  • Options
    I was just down in the engine room about to put in a high water sensor (that's run on a 9 volt battery) and then I stopped because I figured even a 9 volt battery could be a source of ignition.  I'd be a little worried about the exposed positive terminals, can they be covered up somehow?  I know during the USCG inspections they look for exactly that, exposed terminals and such.. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch @J3ff. That will get you pinched in a USCG inspection. Other than that, it is a very clean install @jme097. Looks good!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    As far as I am concerned, the regular 12 volt batteries are a source for ignition. I am not worried about it.