Stainless? Steel

clbkabclbkab Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Is it my imagination or should stainless steel by definition not be prone to rusting?

Comments

• Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Stainless steel does not readily corroderust or stain with water as ordinary steel does, but despite the name it is not fully stain-proof, most notably under low oxygen, high salinity, or poor circulation environments.
  • Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Wikipedia to the rescue...
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :-)

a metallurgist I'm not...

"hey, any you boys a smitty? which is to say, any you fellers studied up in the metallurgical arts?"

there are grades of stainless that will neither stain nor rust, but you'll likely never find that compound being used for making boat parts... I'm not sure what the counts are for qualifying as stainless in the first place, but I'd reckon the ones we see in the form of mass produced parts are just budging into that class.. unless those parts are mass produced for medical/surgery, and/or are small pieces..

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are varying grades of SS depending on what properties you need: hardening varieties, magnetic types, 300 series, 400 series, all the PH series.  Polishing make some grades shiny.  Remember SS is stain resistant..not stain proof!  A lot of work goes into properly machining and treating SS before use (passivating as a start).

Material containing 10-12% of chromium ususally meets the basic cut to be called SS.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Some of the grades are 440ss 304ss 316ss plus many more. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the word speaks for itself stain less - as i heard it explained to another. Lab polished props will stay stain less longer. I have seen the looks of new boat owners when their B3 "regular" stainless are unloaded from the transport truck and the props have a lot of "stains". They're stain - less not stain - free.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. A number of years ago when comparing, just for fun, aluminum and s.s. props on medium HP boats (400HP) we found that s.s props retained their pitch even when heavily stressed by speed - but - aluminum props would actually change their pitch (increase it). You used to be able to buy props that changed their pitch. One used some form of counter weights the other used pre set shift points. They were available in alu. and s.s. I don't know what happened to them. 
  • bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    My props are supposedly statinless too (Bravo III) but you would never tell by looking at it.

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can clean the BIII props with "The Works" toilet bowel cleaner, not the thick stuff.  Rinse off and back to like new.  That fine dull SS finish  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Yeah I clean them every year to that nice dull finish :)  But I might be looking into getting them balanced at the end of the season like Al said.  They have taken a couple hits over their life.

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    How does one know when to balance and recondition? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270