Options

Eisenglass Curtain Storage

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
I am ordering a new top and I want to make sure I have a system in place to protect the panels from day one.  @LaRea
 I discovered Larea's post on how he manages his, must say it makes sense.  I am concerned with the wire ties holding the cloth scratching the panels though.  Has anyone else came up with a unique storage plan?

LaRea  Alexandria VirginiaPosts: 1,708Member  ✭✭✭✭
Laying the windows flat on a bed will definitely minimize scratching and creasing, but then you lose use of the bed.  I stored mine using custom-made canvas bags, and it worked great.  Here's how:

1) Get a 10-foot length of 6" diameter corrugated plastic pipe ($8 at Lowes/Home Depot, normally used to drain rainwater away from your gutters).  This pipe will serve as a core around which you will roll your windows.  The tube prevents the roll from collapsing and making creases in your windows.

2) Cut the tube into two pieces:  one for the windows forward of the radar arch, one for the windows aft of the arch.  

3) Cover each tube with cotton sheet or towels secured by cable ties.

4) Roll the windows around the tube -- not too tight.  

5) Measure the length and diameter of each bundle, and get a canvas maker to build canvas bags for them.  The bag is just a canvas tube, closed on one end with a draw-string at the other end.  Bonus:  Add a canvas handle along the middle of the bag.  

5) Roll the windows around the tube, put the bundle inside the canvas bag, and stow it under a settee or wherever makes sense.

This approach works well because (1) no creases, (2) protected from scratching, 3) easy to them move around, and (4) compact and easy to store.  I stored them under the port side settee on my 342.
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Actually, the corrugated plastic pipe has grooves about 1/2" deep.  The cable ties fit down inside the grooves, so they never touch the canvas.

Instead of canvas bags, you could just wrap the bundle in a bedsheet.  The canvas bags were nice because the carrying handles made it easy to move them around.  (They didn't cost me a lot because I had a close friend with a canvas business ... your mileage may vary.)
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man, do you have any pictures of that? you could probably make $$ putting it all together and selling it!
  • Options
    That makes so much more sense.. Thanks Larea

• Options
    Do they really need to be 5' long for each?  Or could they be shortned up, I want to be able to store either under rear berth or in closet maybe??  

• Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    I roll mine up on swimming noodles. I bought some terry cloth material and wrapped the noodles with it and rolled the canvas and iesenglass onto the noodle leaving the terry cloth touching the glass as you roll it up. I store them in the storage bin I cut behind the front cockpit seat back.  view the thread titled "making good use of empty spaces"
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    On mine, I think the lengths were more like 4' and 3'.  The longer one was for the aft section.
  • Options
    99270fv, that is a great idea!  Thanks 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did see that thread for the wasted space. Right now l layer mine in the midship berth (270) with sheets and blankets- kids can still hang down there as they are well protected. I will look into that seat back idea. Only concern I had with that would it get damp or Moldy ?