Options

Engine Compartment Cleaning

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Since the weather is not cooperating here in Michigan like a lot of areas, I decided to take advantage of it yesterday and give the engine compartment a thorough cleaning. Knuckles and hands are pretty cut up but its worth it! Anyone else love a clean engine compartment?

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Come on over to MD.  Mine is in need of some help.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, looks like it belongs at the boat show.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Looks beautiful @jme097 !  & yes, I love a clean engine room!  Definitely a great time to do things like that!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet that thing was cleaner than mine when you started!! 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad rinker went with all white it looks great.my 05 has that black string like color,alway looks kinda gray to me.but I will scuba like you,but not today.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    What products did you use?
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    What a pain in the ar$e and I think I have more room than many in there too. It wasn't nasty dirty but it definitely needed a good wipe down. Was on my list of things to do in the fall before I put her away for the winter and eventually threw the towel in and said its waiting til spring lol
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    @JonnyM to do the bilge, I dumped about a half gallon of simple green in and filled it half way with water and let it sit for a couple hours. Then I used old shop rags and scrubbed the heck out of it trying to get all the way to the transom wall which proved impossible lol. To do the other areas I used a spray bottle of "Awesome". I get the stuff at a dollar store and it works better than anything I've used before. Spray it on and let it sit for five minute or so then wipe off. You just have to have a bucket of hot water with you to keep rinsing your rag. I also use Awesome to clean my nonskid up top and it works wonders. Have wax after but it works
  • Options

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

Awesome, I actually just bought some of that... lol.  I give you credit, that is not an easy job at all.  Hopefully I can muster up enough energy to get mine half as clean as yours!

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    DaNYMuzikManDaNYMuzikMan Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Nice job, looks great!!!!
    DaNYMuzikMan
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a toilet brush to reach way under the motor,just becareful at what you poke at.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could get busy in that engine room!
  • Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    Don't remember who posted it but I tried it and it works. Spray the bilge thoroughly with your favorite biodegradable cleaner, dump a bag of ice cubes in there and go for a ride. Make sure you start stop several times. The ice scours the bottom, melts and your bilge pump does the rest.
  • Options
    Definitely not a fun job at all but the end result is well worth it. I think....lol
  • Options
    At least your gel coat isn't peeling off
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude, I'm ready to slit my wrists with all your negativity. I challenge you to say ONE positive comment. Just ONE!! lol

Engine bay looks great jme, gotta get my all shined up here too.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    That was a compliment for Handy. You should have met his other personality on the old RBOC forum. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    Hey guys Handy and me go at it but we do it all in fun. He is a very helpful contributor to this site. A little rough around the edges but very helpful.....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Appreciate the comments. As raybo knows how they used to say "just manny being manny". It's just handy being handy lol!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    jme097 said:
    Appreciate the comments. As raybo knows how they used to say "just manny being manny". It's just handy being handy lol!
    LOL Manny being Manny....... Have not heard that in a long time...... Handy is a good guy  and very helpful. Like you said......... Handy being Handy....lol
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LOL used to love to watch sportcenter to see what new mischief he was causing 
  • Options
    That was a compliment for Handy. You should have met his other personality on the old RBOC forum. 
    It was the same as this one. 
  • Options
    JoeStang said:
    Dude, I'm ready to slit my wrists with all your negativity. I challenge you to say ONE positive comment. Just ONE!! lol

Engine bay looks great jme, gotta get my all shined up here too.

That was no negativity towards yours. I wish mine looked as good as that but I got the bad year for Rinker inside gelcoat
  • Options
    Handy your boat is a 2003 correct? Well mine is a 2002 and the gel coat (if that's what you want to call it) looks horrible. Flaking and pealing I find big "chunks" in the bilge and its very hard to make it look clean. Good thing I dont go boating from the engine compartment..........lol
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    yeah, a lot of the early to mid 2000's 342 had that speckled bilge area that flakes.  Was a terrible design!  I've seen one that was completely redone and sure made a huge difference.  Of course it wasn't cheap, but took advantage while engines were out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Al said that they did not let the hull sit long enough to dry out durring production. Thank God it's only cosmetic
  • Options
    I have yet to see a positive comment 
  • Options
    You could get busy in that engine room!
    J3ff said:
    I have yet to see a positive comment 
    TTTTTHHHHHHHBBBBBBBBB
  • Options
    ha ha, missed that one! there ya go!