Options

How much rain gets in?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
My new to me 270 is kept with the slant back canvas and eisenglass front and side pieces on when it is tied up an the slip. Last week I went down after a weekend of heavy rain and found some water got in on the dash and on the floor near the transom door and on the floor by the helm. The cabin was bone dry. Without a mooring cover I guess some water will drip between the seams and corners but this surprised me a bit. I have not installed the new carpet yet but am concerned it will get wet during heavy rains and be an issue. Does your boat also get some rainwater in during heavy downpours? I will have a canvas guy take a look this eeekend to see if he can button her up better. Any input on your experience is appreciated. This site has been awesome! 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never will be 100% dry
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    My 270 stays dry inside. Have you waterproofed the canvass lately or is it blowing in through gaps?
    With driving rain your bound to get some water through the front screen but that should drain out the side of the screen
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my both my current 342 and my previous 310 I got water in just behind the arch when it rained. `Seems they all do that, I just added gasketing to the bottom of the canvas there to try to divert it out. Rarely have had water come in anywhere else but of course if there is high winds from different directions some water coming in from anywhere in the canvas is possible. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Make sure the zippers are all covered with the material and all the extra little "wings" are tucked in.  & as Liberty mentioned, I've seen most leak somewhere, and usually around the arch tracks or zippers.  If it's between the arch and the track, it just needs some silicon.  Also, check the arch tracks to make sure there are no cracks in it or missing/broken plastic.  That definitely causes a leak.

Only way to guarantee no leaks is a hardtop. :)  I had more than a dozen years without one, not gonna happen again!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter how hard I try, I always get a little bit of water in my cockpit when it rains. Its never a crazy amount, But it always comes in the starboard side where the windshield isenglass meets the first side piece of isenglass. I need to have a canvas place sew an extra inch or so overhang on the bimini top
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the FV270 too and I just had all the Velcro replaced and waterproofed all the canvas.... she's been bone dry ever since. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife IMO no big deal - never been able to keep all of the water out particularly in a high wind and/or hard rain.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto here, a little finds its way in...
  • Options
     What's the best way to waterproof the canvas ?

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a gallon of this:and one of these: 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    X2
    Edit: making sure fabic is clean and dry first and keep it off the vinyl and eisenglass as per the instructions. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thanks. I will get both! 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X4 on the 303,but take down the isiglass be for you spary.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct