Options

Bravo 3 paint question

califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
i took my props off to grease the shaft, when I removed the second prop I noticed the casting degrading where it meets the prop shaft. See pictures, my question is, should I paint this area like I did the lower unit? It looks like it has never being painted

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes, I did, cover shaft with plastic before painting, mine looked the same. Grease spline before putting prop's back on they look dry.
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same. I cleaned mine very well with sand paper and a wire brush to get as much of the corrosion gone as possible, I then painted it with a two part epoxy from west system to seal it and prevent more corrosion. Then I painted the drive and the epoxied area with trilux. That was last spring and when I removed the props this spring it looked just as I'd left it. Worked well.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yes paint the bearing carrier. It at least helps with corrosion issues. I used 3 coats of primocon and called it good. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments, I primed and painted the bearing housing using the west marine product. I cleaned the shat that is why it looks dry, I will grease before putting the props back, I have the mercury general purpose grease. Will this do? 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mean the 2 4 C then yes that will do 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had my lower unit redone with a new carrier bearing as preventative maintenance. It ended up costing me 1.3 boat bucks. I was happy to do it now, rather than halfway thru the summer with water in the drive. I greased everything, including the carrier bearing housing with Merc 2 4 C grease. Anything to help with corrosion.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I ended doing the same, I was loosing oil from the reservoir, I had the mechanic check and he said it was the bearing in the universal joint that was rubbing from a bad installation. It cost me 1.1 boat bucks. I used the boat once since the repair, yesterday I went to the boat and the port reservoir was empty, the starboard was down an inch from the top line. I will stop to see the mechanic tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @califco , keep in mind that the drive will "burp" the air in it after it has been filled with oil. When it does that, you will have to refill the lube bottle in the engine room. Keep an eye on it. After the first few times out, you should be good.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info @Cableguy Greg, I will keep an eye on it.