Options

Engine Hatch Motor

DaveGDaveG Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
I have a 2005 Rinker 342. Has any one ever had the engine hatch motor quit on the them? Mine has not given me a problem but I was wonder how would you get engine hatch opened if it quit?
Just thinking out loud!
Hoping not to have this problem, Just wondering?

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a sleeve on the top of the ram it allows you to open the hatch a couple of inches to pull the pin on the ram.you maybe able reach it from the vent holes under the back seat.I have also pondered this thought.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    On the 342 u have to unscrew table mount than reach in and pull pin on top of the sleeve 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Been there, done that.

First step:  find two or three large-diameter friends willing to help.

Then:  Use screwdriver to remove table mount in center of the engine hatch.  Insert arm.  Remove pin from top of ram.  Remove heavy items from transom locker.  Ask large-diameter friends to carefully pull hatch open, noting that if they drop it, very bad things happen.

If it is the boat's first time, you will need to cut a slit in the insulation so you can get your arm through.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.  It does need greasing!  Fitting is on the gearbox.

2.  if you remove the table mount on the engine hatch (likely have to cut thru the insulation) you can reach in and pull the connection pin to disconnect the actuator.  Then you'll need a friend to help open it.

The sliding sleeve is on there so the actuator does not rip itself away from the engine hatch mount when retracting...and it goes too far.   If/when you ever have to replace it, you can get smart actuators where you can set the stroke limits.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Heh ... BD and I were typing the same thing at the same time, except he said it better.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
     B)stroke limits B)  
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have been worrying about this lately. My actuator started clicking end of last season as it goes down.  So I think it may only be a matter of time...
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I replaced my table socket with a screw in deck plate. I wanted easier access to the ram pin if the ram fails. In the unlikely case of an engine bay fire that takes out the power to the ram, I also like having a way to discharge a fire extinguisher into the engine compartment quickly if the hatch can't be lifted. Call me paranoid but I lay awake at night thinking about bad scenarios!

Andy
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine works fine up and down but makes a heck of a racket. Have to look for that grease fitting I saw mentioned. Every time I open or close the hatch my wife makes a crack about the "Gates of Hades" opening up....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OEM actuator is a super cheapo and draws a lot of current.  There are much better ones out there...do need to be marine/non-sparking rated!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    @Black_Diamond mine has started to draw so much current it is making my sound system pop.  Could you recommend one that would work for my boat.  2001 340
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Renee......only you brother....
  • Options
    tap12ptap12p Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know where I can buy an acculift motor. I have a part # c-18-33-320. I have been looking can't seem to find one