Options

Best way to cut fibreglass?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
I need to trim a bit , as I bought a door to go where the crappy cooler opening was. I need to trim the edges a bit, whats the best way to do this?
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A router is probably best. Will be messy. Tape the area with painters tape first, will help chipping of the gelcoat. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 on the router,try to make some kind of fence or straight edge to help guide it.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    The cut will be concealed, right?  Just try to avoid creating sharp corners (like you'd get using a reciprocating saw).  Corners tend to concentrate stresses, and can lead to cracks later.  Cut the corners using a drill or router.
  • Options
    99270fv99270fv Member Posts: 94 ✭✭

I need to trim a bit , as I bought a door to go where the crappy cooler opening was. I need to trim the edges a bit, whats the best way to do this?

how much is a little bit? a sanding drum on a drill may work best

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Depending on how much you need to remove... I would use a jigsaw with a down-cutting blade(like a laminate blade) to reduce tear out. Masking tape all cutting areas and go to work. 
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i did this to mine and i love it!

the door the i got from great lakes skipper matches great color wise and i only had to trim the top corners of the existing opening to get it to fit.

i used masking tape to put over the fiberglass to prevent splintering when you cut. i also used a fine scrolling blade with my jigsaw. the more teeth on the blade the better. put enough tape over the area so the the foot plate of your jigsaw doesn't scratch the gel coat. make your pencil marks on the tape and cut.

here is a link to a thread where i posted a picture of mine completed.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1875/hatch-doors-in-290ec-etc-where-to-find#latest

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine scrolling blade and if you still have any concerns use the old carpenter's trick - use a very sharp blade (like a box cutter) to pre-cut the area (scribing) so that if any gelcoat/fiberglass starts to splinter it will not run past the scribe. The line you pre-cut (scribe) should NOT be deep - just a surface cut to stop run away gel coat cracks/chips. We did this all the time when using very expensive exotic woods for carpentry and I did this with all of my gel coat cuts.
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone!! I don't have a router, so ill see about a good blade for the jigsaw. Cant wait to get this installed, such a waste of space. I don't have to take a lot off, mostly the corners, as the original hole, the corners are quite rounded, and the door has sharp corners. Its all hidden also, behind the frame of the door.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just enlarged my speaker cutouts for larger woofers. As noted above i masking tapped and cut through the tape to prevent gelcoat issues. I used a reciprocating saw and it was aweful, in 4 holes I trashed two blades and had lots of smoke. Doubt a jig saw will be better but it will work, just have extra blades. Dremel may be better. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I have always used a Dremel with a fiberglass cutting bit. Takes a little longer that a jigsaw but its nice and easy to handle to make fine cuts. I tape the whole area off with painters tape as well. Keeps the fiberglass from chipping
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I will be doing that soon
    need to make two 7 1/2 inch holes for 8 inch pioneer speakers that are coming 
  • Options
    Wanted to go with tower speakers but said screw all that wiring noise and went the easy route. It will have 6.5 and 8 on main deck 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I just cut in 2 JL 7.7's on my swim platform. Dremel tool is always my go to!

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Cut in my 2 8 inch pioneers to match 6.5 pioneers 
    ended up using a jig saw with fine tooth blade