Options

Leaking raw water pump

mawdymawdy Member Posts: 8
Hi there, just found that the water in my bilge that I thought was from a leaking water pipe is in fact from the raw water pump pulley. its on a 2002 270 Fiesta Vee, and access doesn't look great. Is it possible to do in situ, or is this an engine out job? Can anybody advise? 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    It can be done with engine in boat (I've done it on the same year 270).  Very tight, but I had good luck just removing the entire pump and then changing parts.  If it's actually leaking at the shaft seal behind the pulley, it is my opinion to just change the entire pump and go with the new Hardin pump.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the layout of the engine compartment but my 280 is very spacious. Way easier if you loosen the tension pulley and remove the fuel cool module (above the water pump assembly) if you have the same engine layout as my 2007 6.2. Can always lay across the engine if the side are tight. Easy job but just a pain getting access. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I've done this on the same year and model boat while in the water to makes things even more interesting.  Hardest part of the whole job was getting the old pulley off and on the new pump.  Otherwise it was a pretty we easy job.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Limited access, how difficult was it to release the pipes from the back of the pump? i'm afloat at the moment, but looking to replace entire pump. Did you take off the pulley and release the holding bracket? Does that make access to the pipes at the back easier?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I think what I did was remove serp belt...then mounting bolts for the pump.  I don't have the cool fuel system so at that point I could see the hose clamps for the hoses.  Don't forget to have a plug ready for the intake hose....water will coming rushing in.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I had to take the pumps to a shop to swap the pulley after my pulley tool broke attempting to diy.  You won't be able to remove the pulley until the pump is completely out.  For me this was the pita part of the job.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    The hoses are a little bit of a pain. Loosen the hose clamps and bolts off the pump housing. Use one hand to hold the hose and the other to move around the housing. Just don't use a screwdriver to pry the house off. You'll have a disaster on your hands if you cut that hose lol
  • Options
    Thanks guys, you make it sound a lot easier than it looks! I assume you can get to the mounting bolts behind the pulley? Will probably replace whole unit including the pulley, and thanks for the reminder about the water inlet hose plug, otherwise the bilge pump will be on overtime!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    When you got to reinstall, add some lubricant to the inside of the hoses and they will slip back on much easier.  Also, it is much easier to remove the bolts, then remove hoses with it lying on the bilge floor (or at least lower).  The first time takes a bit, but after a few, it's really not that bad of a job. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I second Dream. The first time taking the housing off is a learning experience. After that, its not bad. Definitely take the serpentine belt off. Makes it way easier
  • Options
    Thanks for the help and advice guys, Several hours later pump is replaced, and we are back up and running!

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was noticing water in my bilge also. Thought it was from all the rain this year. A close watch caught a fast drip with the engine running. Having the pump re-built and re-installed this week....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job, have had my pump off a few times- have a Ginny that makes it tighter. Hope you replaced the impeller, was not sure if replaced was with rebuilt or new...
  • Options
    Having the mechanic at the marina do it. I don't have time this week and plan on a weekend trip starting Friday. Looks like the pump housing which is like a bakelite material is cracked. Changing out the housing, impeller, plate and seals. Will have the thermostat done at the same time. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is the brass housing...
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a pump change watch the idler above the pump the water (salt water)eats up the baring.Think it's 25 bucks mine spun off and the belt came off couple months later.The water comes off the pulley and sprays the idler.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Fresh water....but I'll keep am eye on it anyway. Thanks.