Options

Corrosion and specifically on a drive shaft

Mightys4Mightys4 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hello group,

Hoping I can get a mechanical opinion from folks.  I have a 2009 340 EC with Volvo DPS-A drive.  I never expected corrosion issues but it can happen to anyone.  Its a Lake Erie fresh water all its life boat but it was a bit neglected and underused.  I knew I'd have some things to sort out and this is one of them.  I had a gimbal howling at the end of last year, knew it was coming.  I wasn't quite prepared for what I found though.

Drive shaft bellows was leaking, rust water pulling it off with the drive.  The gimbal actually came out with the drive, it was fused to the driveshaft.  Luckily, it came out and I have it apart.  I'm cleaning things up now.  I purchased new U joints (GKN same as factory) and have it all apart but NOT the shaft in the upper housing.  I was trying to avoid pulling that apart because of the rolling tension setting part.  I'm mechanical but just feel that's over my head.

As I'm cleaning up the driveshaft pieces and really making things nice, I realize the shaft has slight pitting and the cage also has some pitting.  The bores for the u-joint cups are very clean with no pitting.  I can get this cleaned up, and I don't think I'm all that worried about failure, its not THAT pitted, its on the surface only, but its there.

What would you do?  Any other mechanical folks or true mechanics care to weigh in?  I never see this part, I'm comfortable with it, but if it effects the balance, I'll pull the trigger for a new assembly.

I've attached a couple of photos of it cleaned up.

Thanks for your opinions.

Gerry

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Looks fine.....but how does bearing fit on shaft? Hopefully not much play? And hopefully bearing presses in transom tight......hasn't been seized and spun the outer race
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Bearing didn't freeze, just completely wore out but the race did freeze to the drive shaft, all apart now and the gimbal housing looks good, just needs a good clean up.  I'll size up the bearing on the shaft and go from there.  Too much play and I'll order a new driveshaft. Thanks for writing.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about it. Looks fine to me
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just replace it you got it all out now might as well replace it
  • Options
    Handy, I don't have a problem with that but then I need to set rolling torque on the new one as its a Volvo and that's over my head.