Options

Hurley H3o Davit on 342

JPCJPC Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
I'm working to purchase an '05 342. (the older swim platform style without the support poles)   My plan is to purchase a davit system and carry my Walker Bay 310 slrx console Ultra Light tender. It is less than 400 lbs wet, 10' 2" long and 60 inches wide.  

I've looked at different options and seen the pictures Black_diamond has on this forum of the Hurley H30 Davit and it looks pretty interesting to me . I've also looked at slide on systems and it would seem these are going to be a hassle to pull this dinghy up on the boat.  

I've talked to Rinker and the Ops manager did not have a concern with this weight on the platform and said they were tested to much more weight.  I also talked with Tod Hurley who thought 400 lbs is about as heavy as I would want to go with the H3o but it would work in this situation.  

Anyone have any experience or other options they have used for a larger dinghy or small jet ski on a 342 or similar boat?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a pull on system with my AB RIB. Mind you it has a deep-vee hull. The slide on was almost impossible alone and a struggle with 2 people. A less vee hull would slide on easier I'm sure. 

I love my H3O. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

I've seen people use a small manual winch that works extremely well.  It comes off when not in use and only leaves a small footprint bracket for mounting.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_Diamond,   Thanks for the reply.  How heavy is your AB with the motor and fuel?  How does having the RIB on the back affect performance of the big boat?  
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I have the Trick davit system, that BD actually sold me.  And i'll second that a heavy dinghy with motor installed is a chore to load with one person.  I have a 10'4" Achilles RIB with a 15hp Merc 2 stroke.  My wife and I load it without much issue, but if we were older or my wife any weaker, I would not want this system.  I have been eyeing the H30.  It looks much easier to load.

I think our setup weighs around 250lbs or so.  Our 360 handles it fine (twin 496's) and we take it everywhere.  THe only thing to watch out for is coming off plane.  If you have a big wake behind you it could reach the bottom of the dinghy and try to float it.  Perhaps this is a non-issue on a 342 or with the Hurley system.

• Options
    @JPC: The AB RIB is the 9.5AL, about 100 lbs, 9.9 Merc 2-stroke 65#.  Fuel tank not included, I have a 5 gallon tank.

Performance wise, I think it is better than with the old Weaver davits and my original Merc dinghy since the dinghy sits flat and not like a sail behind the boat. lol  Plus I can leave the motor on the dinghy (big plus).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black_Diamond,  do you have a profile shot of your boat with the RIB on the Hurley Davit that you could post or any showing the port side with the outboard? 
  • Options
    Don't have the RIB on yet.  Few pics for ya. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thank you.   Love that setup. 
  • Options
    I added folding eyes on the rear of the platform and another on the transom 'step'.  You can see them in the 6319 and 6597 pics. 

I can load/unload by myself even in 1-2' Lake Michigan chop.  Sturdy underway too.  We went about 400+ miles on Lake Mich last summer, zero issues.  :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI