Options

Upgraded Nav Lights today.

gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    They look good.  What brand are they?  I just did mine as the covers were yellowed and cracked.  Switched to Attwood but they feel pretty flimsy.  Not sure if they are going to last and my god it was a pain getting enough wire to splice them in.  Thought i was going to have to remove the bulkhead.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me, but those look like they are meant to be mounted on a vertical surface, not flat like that.  Seems the lights would not be visible straight on.  Could just be the angle of the picture too.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just you, they are unfortunately mounted wrong and need to be redone :(  sorry gack but that's no good they do look nice though! 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @gack You're looking for these lights below. The light you have will serve their purpose though

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    @jme097 Those are what i put on this spring.  Not quite as sturdy in person as what they look like online.  has to be the thinnest SS i have ever seen.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks thanks for the heads up. I was going to order them today haha. I'll hold off then as my currents ones are fine
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I put them on my boat, they are thin but have been holding up so far.

Boy was my boat filthy when I did this.

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Yeah, I had a feeling it was not right.  Will probably change them out for Attwoods at the end of season. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @gack you may have problems with law enforcement if you run at night with those since they aren't pointing in the right direction.  A CG boarding could notice them as well and ticket you for them since correct navigation lights are required by federal law.  Don't know if you want to wait too long on switching them out.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    @gack If you are planning on being out at night that would be an extremely dangerous choice if you wait till the end of the season.  People are counting on you being lit up correctly... switch them out asap, don't be a new story!! The way they are sitting right now you might as well not even have them turned on... 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Attwood ones that are in the picture above. They are bright and work really well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow tuff parenting.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Glad to hear the Atwood's are holding up.  I just put mine on in April and was wondering how they would do.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear the Atwood's are holding up.  I just put mine on in April and was wondering how they would do.
    I put them on my boat in 2014. That was the first thing I did since the original red one was faded out. I didn't want to get pulled over by the blue stripes. They do hold up well. I even had them on my old 232cc. I got the bicolor one for that boat and it worked out well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Wow tuff parenting.
    Might be tough, but as they are installed it's useless for boats coming from the side.  Couple that with the sheer amount of drunk boating that goes on at night, it's a death wish to not have things done correctly. Forget the ticket and fine, that's peanuts compared to being run over. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff I do agree,I fix mine before I splashed.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Ok, your right.  Could be a safety issue.  Will swap them out before I do any night cruising.  Should be easy now as I can get to wires on topside now.