Options

Replacing flat Starboard covers - Stainless Steel?

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Want to replace the covers over my blower vents on FV270. Having a tough time finding StarBoard at a reasonable price anywhere nearby. Can probably get HDPE. Same thing? Thinking of checking with local metal fab shop to see about having them cut out of stainless. Other reason would be so I could mount a down-rigger on one side, after figuring out how to better fasten them down.
Goofy idea? Downside would be they'd be a lot heavier I suppose.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The stainless will get hot. Boatoutfitters.com has Starboard at a decent price.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Until you add the shipping, customs duty and exchange.  In Canada.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can find cutting boards at Walmart or wherever of the same thickness and a color you like that would be a cheap way to make them. What's wrong with yours?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Mine are full of holes where a P.O. had rod holders or something mounted on them.
    I've been keeping my eyes open for the cutting board idea, just haven't found one big enough yet.
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    is it cover with Gelcoat... If it is would be easy to fill the holes and applied Gelcoat on top of the filled holes
  • Options
    Nope. More of a StarBoard type material. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until you find what you want, toss some stainless steel screws with finishing washers in there. Will look like they are intentional. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Could do that. Other reason to go stainless, or thicker StarBoard is that it's the perfect location to mount my downrigger, as long as I can figure out how to better fasten them, maybe through bolt if I can get up in there on the inside.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I too have thought about mounting a downrigger there...but I don't think the strength is there.  You really have to bolt through the gunwhale.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound I was at Sam's today buying supply's for BBQ and purchased a cutting board, that would be a cheep fix for your replacements, it was 15 x 20 1/2 inch thick $8.99 If you have not worked with these materials it is easy to cut (table saw) and drill.
     Daily Chef Commercial Cutting Board 15
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Thanks @randy56. Still about 5 inches short.  But as a matter of fact I went ahead and mounted the downrigger yesterday on the existing Starboard.  I pulled it off and looked at it and it's almost 5/8" thick and the fibreglass underneath is another half an inch. I redrilled the holes to 1/4" and by reaching up through a speaker cut out I was able to get a decent size fender washer and locknut on them. Very sturdy. Even added one more extra bolt from stock. Also mounted the downrigger to the rear where all the strength is. Going to try it next week.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I put my downrigger on we basically glassed in a thick layer underneath the gun wale. Not sure if the 1/2" you talk about is OME. We probably went with 1". It was stiff. But the gun wale had a long unsupported run over the vent, so I put an aluminum post about 2" x 2" and though bolted it right into the top of the vent and caught the bolt from the inside of the engine compartment. I was worried about flexing especially in wavy conditions which would ultimately lead to gel coat cracks. Well the system was stiff after that and it worked well. I could put some pretty heavy weights on the downrigger. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound   I wish you the best of luck, catch some. nothing better than fresh fish.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks guys. This is all inland water. Maximum 8 or 10 lb cannonball and I probably go about 5 times a year, and only in fairly calm conditions so not that worried about anything moving. Lake Trout fishery here is well known to cough up lots in the 18 to 22 lb range. My average is around 14. I'll post pics if we have success.
  • Options
    Willhound, I was on Lake Ontario fishing for kings (Chinook) and trout. You'll find the blowback on a 8 to 10 lb weight to be short of ridiculous. If you stick with the fishing you'll want to upgrade to a rigger that can handle at least 12 lb and preferably 15 lb Weights.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I've used 12's and the 10's I use work pretty good. I've fished lake O many times (in a different set up) and the speeds there are generally a lot higher. We're usually down to around 1 to 1.5 mph with the help of a set of Amish Outfitters trolling bags and the trick is to watch for the hit at the turns, so usually fishing a zig zag pattern. 
  • Options
    Yeah 1 to 1.5 mph is low enough for 10s. If you get into Chinook fishing (and you should) you'll need to go 2.5 mom, and that's when you'll appreciate 12 or bigger. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"