Options

The "would you take me out on your boat?" and then no-show passengers...

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Must be that time of year again.  How do you handle these events?

Got out of work Friday, met up with a friend on the water, we were sitting out enjoying the views around 4pm, my arguably best friend says "Hey whats up? Want to hang? I tell him sure, cmon down to the club, get some food and a beer on the way and I'll meet you there in 40 mins..." my other friend had to leave anyway, so pull the anchor and make the 40 min trek back to the dock (20 mins are at no wake).  I'm tied up at the dock waiting, he gets to the food place and goes "You know, I don't really feel like this food anymore.."  I tell him to go find other food and get to the dock.. 15 mins later "actually I think I'm just going to go home, I'm not feeling up to boating right now"

I was blown away by the fact that he got me to come all the way in and is blowing me off!  Now I ended up texting another friend (a woman this time).. she brought her two kids and bought me dinner, we went back out and enjoyed sunset. So that's how I handled it in the moment, but I have to admit I'm thinking the next time I'm out and this guy asks to hang out it's going to be a "I'm on the water, will let you know when I'm back".

I have a 21 year old cousin who lives about 1.5 hours away.  She's in town for a wedding that happened last night (saturday). 

A week ago I get a text from her asking if I'd like to take her out on the boat on Sunday because she's got to check out of her hotel at 10am.   She also casually throws in "and buy me lunch".   I mention that it's usually the other way around and passengers bring all the food, but then say no big deal, everyone will just grab their own stuff and we'll meet at the boat (mother and sister coming too). 

So she sends me a text inviting her self out, asks for lunch and then last night I get a text at 1am saying "Well there's a wedding brunch at 9am...and I'm not going to rush through it because this is a group of friends I don't get to see very often. SO I may have to end up taking a rain check depending on how long the brunch lasts". (I haven't seen her more than once a year for the past few years..)

Again, I'm not going to get mad about it, as my family and I still plan to lave the dock in about an hour and go have lunch.  I just don't get these people...

My friend completely wasted my time gas and enjoyment of the water between 4pm and 6pm on Friday, might not seem like a big deal, but the boss let me out early to go do that and it's what I live for!  My cousin just wasted a bunch of my time and typing out texts... lol

How do you handle these situations?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm not big on self inviters.  

My slipmate had a sailboat and had a1pm sail time on Sundays. Not 1:00:01. 1pm. Miss it, your problem. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got have friends without a bot!
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I just got have friends without a bot!
    hitting the sauce early down there in FL today? :wink::smiley:
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yeah, I generally just boat with others that have boats. We do sometimes have people meet at boat on Friday evening for a boat dock party. The rare times I have people go with us, it's like BD. They gave a time and if they aren't there, they miss the boat! Yep, it's happened.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No sauce here today, over sauced yesterday hanging at the pool....trying to get some stuff done around the house so I can start the bellows project...
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I would tear my "friend" a new one.  They would know I was mad.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Had a group once that included a girlfriend of my wife.  Claimed she had been on boats before.  Showed up late and then we left the dock and she immediately starts freaking out.  Got out of the harbor and she says she needs off and we need to go back.  I dropped her by the nearest dock and said good luck...lol
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    I would tear my "friend" a new one.  They would know I was mad.
    Haven't really talked to #1 all weekend.. he knows I'm mad, I'm trying not to be too bitter as life is too short, but I def will consider it more before coming back in for a guest in the future, especially this joker. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    skennelly said:
    Had a group once that included a girlfriend of my wife.  Claimed she had been on boats before.  Showed up late and then we left the dock and she immediately starts freaking out.  Got out of the harbor and she says she needs off and we need to go back.  I dropped her by the nearest dock and said good luck...lol
    Uber is great for these situations! :) How'd the rest of the story work out?!?
  • Options
    Dropped her a$$ off and had a blast the rest of the day mostly joking about her.  Lol.  I do agree life is short and you can't be too mad...but def let them know.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what it comes down to is non boaters don't understand the time and effort it takes to go out on a boat. Then again some people just don't give a $&!t and think the world revolves around them!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    I hate the ones that you invite and they want to know what time your coming in or when your already out there and they ask what time we're going in....umm when the boat pulls up to the dock that's what time. We give everyone a fair warning before going out that we have no set time to come in and we're not setting a time to go in. Our boat, we will go in when we are ready if you want to come your more than welcome but if you have something scheduled later you probably shouldn't come. I can be a A$$ at times but I don't get a lot of time to boat with Michigan weather, kids active in sports and just other things that come up so when I get a nice day out I won't be rushed. 
    so I have another best friend, his wife and I have also been friends since 1st grade.  They are def great friends.  The wife's sister comes out one day and about 3 hours in starts freaking out that we are stuck on an island and the tide is low and because of a few factors the boat CANNOT leave the island.. not beached, but kind of a huge tidal pool, boat is too big to make it out and we are waiting another 5 hours before it is okay.  She literally is pacing up and down the beach even though she KNEW we were in it for at least 8 hours..  the sister and her family have neverbeen back out.. so crazy how some people are so attached to land when the real fun is out on the water!