Options

polishing boat?

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
I just got a new 7" polisher just for the boat, I've seen somewhere were you need the speed of a non-orbital polisher to really clean the gelcoat, so I bought one. my question is it came with a Velcro style pad that screws on the arbor, the article said you need the speed from polisher plus heat from the friction and use the cotton style bonnet for gelcoat, do I need a different disc or can I just use the bonnet on it? last year it took about 1 1/2weeks to get it to shine with the orbital polisher and 1 week after, was like I didn't do anything to it, so I hope the speed and heat from a spinning polisher will make it easier.

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You neee to be very careful with variable/high speed wheels. You can really do damage to your vinyl or gel.
    high speed wheels have the rpm to properly apply wax or compound. They also have the speed to work in heavy compound if oxidation is present.
    i would go with a 3 step peogram
    compound
    wax
    seal
     then you can use your orbital to polish and maintain thru out the year
    3m is my choice for marine care.
    Regular buffing pads are fine to start with
    when you get comfortable is when you burn your vinyl or gel. I would not even attempt rubber wheels for at least the first season of use
    dont ask how I know 
  • Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭

Thanks for the info, for what I found online they say stay below 2000rpms for a while until you get it. i'll look for the 3m around here. thanks again!

• Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    floater212 - I went to youtube videos to learn how to polish a boat.  extremely helpful.  Good luck.  BTW, my boat looks great and did burn the fiber glass.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure