Options

Recognizing Drowning Victims

Not a question, per se, but more of a "general boating" PSA - good article for the masses. 

- Dave

Comments

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Great article.  I pulled a 10 year old out of the river a couple years ago.  Parents weren't more than 50' away and didn't recognize the signs of their kid getting in trouble.  He swam too far into the middle current and didn't have the strength to make it back.  Same thing though, no one on my boat knew what I was doing when I jumped off the back of the boat and the child's parents looked annoyed until they saw the reaction of their son when I grabbed him.  I got him just as he was going under and No yells, No screams.  I also think it has to do with embarrassment as the kids get older and not wanting to call for help until it's too late.  Be Safe Out There!!

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Admiral is a Red Cross certified safety swim instructor focused on parent child (18mths to 5yo) swim instruction and self rescue for children. Words can't describe what it looks like to see a baby/child swim underwater toward the poolside and call out for help. During this time of year she is teaching classes one-on-one from 9am-8pm and comes home absolutely wiped out but satisfied that it's making a huge difference. 

That article is timely info for everyone to keep an eye out for everyone around you, young and old. 

Bat, That's an awesome story and I hope you realize what an impact you had on that family. Running toward an emergency isn't most peoples first nature. Kudos
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tiki but I guess I kind of cheat in the responding to an emergency area.  I am a Career Captain/Paramedic on a fire department :)  What your wife is doing is invaluable.  Education is the key to survival in any emergency.

• Options
    That definitely ain't cheatin', you're da man. Be safe and thanks for serving. 
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    wow. i'm glad I read that article. thanks a life for sharing!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a four month old baby, and we take her out with us.. in proper gear, of course..

our babysitter is a young mother of a 18month old baby, who just completed his swimming classes.. The people who do the training are paying the rec center a considerable amount to host the classes.. it just so happens I have a pool in the back yard, which they want to use for their future classes.. they are fully bonded and insured (my wife is an attorney who is careful about legal liabilities).. they have expressed that they can teach children as young as six months, and are going to give my little girl a free class.. I'm all for it... on an aside, I'm also 'all for' putting up a barrier around the pool.. I don't want to lose a child in such a way...

I was drown proofed in the Marine Corps.. that process sucked, but I personally believe that anyone who spends a decent amount of time on or near the water consider doing a similar thing.... it gives confidence, but it also instills a deep deep respect for what can happen to you if you're stupid even for a few seconds..
  • Options
    Drew, 1st off congrats on that new baby!! Get that baby trained in self rescue and get a pool barrier!

As the husband of a swim instructor for infants/children it's a challenge for my wife to find an affordable facility to teach private self rescue lessons for people who don't own a pool or don't have deep pockets. If your instructor friend is licensed/certified and insured, try it out, you'd be doing every kid who comes to your pool a great service and possibly impacting their lives in untold ways. Consider how much of your personal privacy you can share at your home and give it a try. Two thumbs up for even considering it.

Mike
  • Options
    oh, there is something in it for me.. they are offering $100 a class.. I think a class is something like 12 sessions of 40minutes each? Something like that, anyway...

it's worth it to me just to see the skill learned early enough that it is instinctual by the time she can carry on a conversation with me..

I posted a link to the article presented here, on facebook.. a few friends have responded, and one pointed out that there have been several deaths due to drowning in the area already, and tourist season has just begun here on the crystal coast.. One was a HS quarterback that a lot of div1 schools have shown interest in.. he was caught in a rip a few weekends ago, and his last communication was to his girl friend (also a senior in HS) to go for help, that he was going to cause both of them to drown if she didn't let go.. simply sad, huh? 

it's not the stories like the one I just typed out that really strike me, though.. it's the ones with the victim right there in the thick of things with people all around- and nobody knew... one of the things we learned during all the military classes on water survival was about how quickly and quietly it actually happens.... i've never witnessed it, and hope i never do- but... trying to tell people that it is a quick and silent thing most often is difficult, and for reasons just as the article stated: most folks haven't seen it happen, unless it was on television- and it's always dramatic on tv..
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited June 2013
    GREAT ARTICLE EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT

In the Archives it goes

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for teaching me something new!  Excellent read!

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

That article taught me a lot too.  I was not aware of how opposite of what one would expect the behavior of someone who is in trouble really is.  The bottom line for me is to "ask" the person you think might be in trouble if he is ok.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I have sent this to everyone I know that has a boat or a pool or that takes a bath  :))

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Excellent article. Every one on the water must be hyper-vigilant and sadly this is so often not the case.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Featured this morning on the Today show. Here's the link. Awesome timing.

Another very moving program to raise awareness. Watch this and you will be impacted at the urgency of 10 children a day drowning in America EVERY day. 

I wasn't too sure why this thread and my wifes new career resonated so strongly until I realized that I hadn't told ten people in my life until now that I actually lost a brother to a drowning in a bath tub as a baby when the sitter was distracted. It struck our family again when I nearly died from a drowning myself at 3y/o. My mother found me on the bottom of the family pool and luckily I was resuscitated w/o permanent damage. It sounds like there was no attention to the situation when I type it but it wasn't the case. It just expresses that it happens in an instant and can strike ANY family at almost any time.

Thanks for the post. Glad to be here today with programs to raise awareness..
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Awesome post KC thanks for sharing it just might save a life.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Tiki, I can't imagine dealing with that on any level.. It scares me to the bones what could happen if you look away for just a moment..

My babysitter lady gave a demonstration the day before yesterday of her 18mo kid swimming.. he knows what to do and does it comfortably- he even swam under for a distance, and then floated up on his back like it was second nature.. I'm definitely getting those lessons for my little gal, whether I let the pool out or not..

all of this has got me thinking, though- I'm going to be pricing out pool barriers this morning... I'd rather have a tub of high quality dirt in the backyard and move my garden into it than I would turn back around after a second or two and see a child in danger.... the thought haunts me..