Options

Portable generator storage

love2cruiselove2cruise Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
Hi Guys,

I have a 270 FV and finally bought a Honda EU2000i for this year's boating season. Can you guys see any foreseeable issues if I store the generator down in the engine room when not in use since there is so much free room down there? Obviously I would secure it so it can never move around.

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I was just researching this yesterday, every single post I came across said it is an explosion waiting to happen if you store it anywhere that the engine room is connected to...So even up under the top sink.  Google search Honda generator boat engine room storage
  • Options
    love2cruiselove2cruise Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Shoot... There goes my bright idea of finding space to store the generator. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I store mine in the engine room. I make sure the gas cap is on tight and I run the blower the entire time that I am underway.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I store mine in the engine room. I make sure the gas cap is on tight and I run the blower the entire time that I am underway.
    Please search it up before you do it again... I wish it was fine as I want to do the same. But it just doesn't seem safe
  • Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    could you use an external fuel tank and place the fuel behind the firewall or even use the boats fuel tank?

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    It would be fine as long as you empty the fuel tank 100%.   Look for a LP version that runs on 1 lb tanks 
    Now that's an interesting idea.  I wounder how long it would run on 1lb