Options

Noisy electric head

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
So I've learned more about the electric head on the boat.  This season started off with the electric motor that ejects the waste making a grinding noise.  So I got some mineral oil and poured it down the bowl.  No help.  I took the motor assembly off the base of the head and there was some stuff (dating back to original owner from the look) wound around the motor shaft.  I cleaned that out and inspected the impeller.  This has a rigid plastic impeller after the metal macerator blade.  Kind of a one stop shopping design.  Anyway, I put it back together and it still makes the grinding sound.  I ran the motor when it was off the base and it seemed OK.  Everything works ok, it's just noisy.

Any thoughts on what else might be the culprit? 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it one like this? I have one and it always sounds like a pina colada blender on high. The whole marina knows when you're using it.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Stodge, my last couple of boats have had these jabsco electric heads. Have you done the rebuild kit? If it is not the pump itself then buying the rebuild kit for around $50 and re doing everything could help. That said I had a simmilar issue on my last boat. The louder noise was a secondary problem to water continually coming back in to the bowl (yes I did joker and other common reasons). Rebuild kit didnt do it. So I was able to buy the entire assembly below the bowl new for around $230. It was the base, pump, literally everything between the floor of the head and the base of the bowl. Was all good after that. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a Jabsco (37245-7012) with the motor at the base of the bowl.  Both the chopping blade and impeller are on the same motor shaft.  It's almost like something got in between the impeller and the housing for it, but I can't find anything.  

I'll look for a rebuild kit.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 did you just replace the motor? That is what the link is.  I replaced the motor, also did a rebuild kit as it was leaking a little.  After the rebuild it stopped leaking but now it keeps throwing a breaker.  I take it  out.  It works.  Make sure it is clean.  Put it back in and it works, leave the boat for a week, come back and it throws a breaker with nothing in the bowl. Not a fun job to keep doing over and over.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    The link is everything mechanical including the motor that is below the bowl. Attached to the pump is the rubber impeller, chopping blade, gaskets, more than just the electric motor.