Options

First Week Back on the Lake 2013

gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
Well, I was so happy to be back on the lake.  My wife and I went up last Thursday and stayed until Tuesday afternoon.  The first night on the boat brought all sorts of issues out of the woodwork, so I thought I would share them with you to troubleshoot, or prevent, these issues from happening to you.  
1. Air conditioning stopped blowing cold.  Not good when it was 96 degrees outside.  I pulled the a/c hatch and found that the filer was all gunked up with moist dust.  The elements behind it were frozen solid.  I used a hair drier to melt the ice block.  (Careful not to melt the filter)  Once I got the filter off, which is only velcro'd on the left and right sides, I gave it a good washing and rinsing.  I let the ice finish melting.  After letting it melt, the a/c worked fine, and with the clean filter, I had no re-icing issues.
2. Those darn sump boxes.  I pulled each one and de-gunked them.  I wish I knew of a chemical I could add to get rid of the slime build-up.  The swear the pump soap gel's in the box.  The one in the galley is the worst, but I did them all at the same time for preventative maintenance.  I have had it go before, and it is a mess on the rug when it overflows.  I leave the wood panel in front of it secured with only two screws, hand tightened so I can remove it in under a minute.
3. Last year, my wife had turned on the head's faucet while underway.  The pump was not on, so she got a little pressure from the dockside line, and then it ran dry.  She forgot to turn off the faucet.  Back at the dock, I hooked up the water line.  We ate supper, and when I got back on the boat, I couldn't figure out why the boat was listed so far to starboard.  I had just emptied the head the day before.  I looked at the tank gauge, and saw full.  I opened the head and found the faucet on.  Grrrr.  Well, this ended up soaking my big orange filter.  I found out this year with the stink.  So, I pulled it and gave that a change.  Nice design on that unit.  Easy change.  No more stink.  
4. Baby oiled the Jabsco head.  Keeps it lubed.  Checked for any backflow issues, but it looks like my joker valve might actually last two years?? That might be a record... :-)  

During a heavy rainstorm, the trim piece that hold the zipped portion to the radar arch, the one with that slide in channel, was dripping right in the middle.  Instead of one piece, both sides of the arch are in two pieces, with the joint right in the middle.  I was thinking about maybe trying to seal it with a bit of silicone the next time I am up.  Anyone try this?  Did it work?  Any suggestions?

The water temp was 65 degrees.  My wife went swimming anyways.  Geez...i knew she was coldblooded, but I not literally.  Beautiful week all together.  Can't wait to get back.

Here are some pics from the week(end).

June04__006~0.jpg
June04__007.jpg
June04__010.jpg
June04__011.jpg
June04__015.jpg
June04__017.jpg
June04__025.jpg

June04__031.jpg
June04__032.jpg
June04__033.jpg
June04__035.jpg
June04__036.jpg
June04__038.jpg
June04__041.jpg
June04__040.jpg

Gary and Diane
290 FV Nauti Bonnie

Comments

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing!! Gotta love shaking those gremlins out the first couple times out in the year.  Sounded like it ended up still being a great weekend over all. 

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post and great tips too. I can relate to 95* every day for the next 4mths for us! Had to laugh at the last pic with NO ice cream, ice or sodas.....just fuel. I know your pain. Have a great season and keep bringing those pics  :)>-

Mike n Kelli
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    It was a great long weekend.  Yesterday was 72 and windy though.  Made it easier coming home...hehe.  
    I like the hot weather coming on, takes a lot of heat to warm up that lake.  625 billion gallons is a lot of water.  I'll swim once it hits 72-74 degrees water temp.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Awesome pictures thanks for posting...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com