Options

Blower on/off during refueling

vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
I saw a question asked on another forum. I have always had the blower on during fueling. After seeing the response & doing a little research, it looks like you should not have the blower on. Thoughts?
2002 342 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Always had mine off and ran it 4-5 minutes after fueling/before starting.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Yep
    off during 
    on after
    i always smell the exhaust vent for fumes 
    now I am also a guy that runs his blower while running not just at dock or idle 
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I run mine the same as pault1216.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Blowers OFF during refueling.  The blowers can pull gas fumes into the engine room.  
    I'm like @zaverin1 - I always smell the blower outlet before I turn the key.  Call me cautious, but I know exactly how the exhaust should smell.  If there's a leak of any sort -- fuel, oil, coolant, holding tank -- I'd know it immediately.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same as pault, except only wait about 2 min before starting. so are you going to tell us the correct way?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always OFF when fuel is flowing. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    on the gas dock 40yrs ago we left blower on..raise a hatch or pad.
    about 10 yrs ago i was told to leave blower off while fueling and only use after
    something about sparks from the electrics .
    now
     what about running your generator while fueling or at the gas dock
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    edited May 2017
    No generator.  The state of Maryland issues the following guidance, which is typical of most places:

All open flames and galley stoves shall be extinguished; engines, motors, fans, and bilge blowers shall be shut down; and all ports, windows, doors and hatches shall be closed.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I actually open my engine hatch when refueling. Just helps fumes escape. Run blowers after
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    jme097 said:
    I actually open my engine hatch when refueling. Just helps fumes escape. Run blowers after
    I do the same. I figure I'd rather see/smell leaking fuel before there's a large amount in the bilge.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    In a safe boating course I attended years ago, we were taught to close all doors, compartments and hatches prior to, and during refueling. The objective is to keep gasoline fumes outside of the boat as much as possible. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and will settle to the lowest point in a space or structure. Upon completion of fueling, open doors and hatches and run engine compartment blowers. Check the engine compartment for fumes (sniff test) before starting engines, generator, etc.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wm61356 said:
    In a safe boating course I attended years ago, we were taught to close all doors, compartments and hatches prior to, and during refueling. The objective is to keep gasoline fumes outside of the boat as much as possible. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and will settle to the lowest point in a space or structure. Upon completion of fueling, open doors and hatches and run engine compartment blowers. Check the engine compartment for fumes (sniff test) before starting engines, generator, etc.
    yes that's the correct procedure. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ugh. That looks super painful
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I've been a trailer boater untill last year, I would get gas on land, drive over to the ramp, flip the blower on & start the lanch process. Never really thought about the physics of getting fuel on the water, that the blowers may pull in gas fumes. I guess it's time to refreash a boating course. Never stop learning!! Thanks for all of the comments
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee