Options

Any 270 owners do a battery relocate?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
So I'm going to kill two things at once, Moving up to 2, 31 series house batteries(actually all 3 to 31s) , and going to move them to port side to help with constant slight starboard list. Question is, where did you run the cables? Around front of engine, or up and over the back? Anyone have a good place online to buy cables?
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Deleted, because I didn't read enough lol!

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Run the cables the shortest distance possible.... those cables ain't cheap!! Keep in mind that there won't be a fuse either(a short will be catastrophic).... battery cable routing is serious business. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They say its good to use a heavy gauge welding wire. You can usually find that much cheaper than the normal red and black battery cables.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ABMXZ, respectfully suggest high amperage MARINE cables that have been "tinned" their entire length and are kept out of water and away from direct heat contact. You will get much more power and life that way. Also respectfully remember to wire those beautiful series 31's properly to get full power reserve potential. Many posts on line and @frenchship has a simple no words needed diagram. I posted a good (I think) explanation but it is pretty wordy. (What, Me?).
  • Options
    Ya that's what I'm going to get for sure....and run them around the back, no way to step on/damage them that way.
  • Options
     Good to see you around too Michael!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Good to see you mt!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Love this forum and reading about your boating adventures!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I added a second house battery I did relocate it more to the port side, but up by the aft cabin bulkhead where I had space rather than right over on the port side where my hot water tank and lines etc. reside. Decent cables the proper length from a local supplier were $80.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    When I added a second house battery I did relocate it more to the port side, but up by the aft cabin bulkhead where I had space rather than right over on the port side where my hot water tank and lines etc. reside. Decent cables the proper length from a local supplier were $80.
    If you relocate the batteries along the bulkhead, be careful of the length of the screws used for the battery tray.... fuel tank underneath!! 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Here is what I did on my '06 270. Two group 31's, 2/0 cable routed aft to battery switch, ground attached to new stud on flywheel housing.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have been thinking of moving one of my house batteries to the starboard side of the boat to help with the list to port that I have. My 3 batteries (two G31 house and one G24 starting) along with the fresh water tank are all on the port side, so when the water tank is full, and the waste tank is empty, I have a list. moving the weight of one battery to the other side of the boat would help some in my case.

I have bought cables from this place before. They will put the ends on if you know the length that you need. I have also bought smaller gauge wire in the proper colors.

http://www.ezacdc.com/boat-wiring-products/boat-battery-wiring/

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I made up my own cables, bought cable, terminals and solder slugs, used propane to melt solder, then install heat shrink.
    Relocated generator positive cable to port side, next is relocating gen ground cable to port side. 
    In addition I relocated the battery charger (installed a new one), moved the generator fuel filter/separator, the generator main battery switch, re-routed the fuel and water lines for the generator.  
    Trying to clean up the messy wiring/hose routing that Rinker does.
    Pics will be posted soon.